DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I've learned a lot in just the few short weeks I've been on DK.  Grooming tips, feeding tips, reading up on raw feeding extensively, training opinions and techniques.  It's all been very helpful.  It's also made me aware of many things my husband and I didn't know.

Many years ago we bought this house.  We had one child and an older Bichon.  I fed her grocery store food.  I had this dog since 1994.  Shortly after we moved into the house a styrofoam cooler arrived.  In this cooler were vacuum packed ground bison meat.  We wondered, was the previous owner in some kind of "meat of the month" club?  So, we tried to get in contact with the previous owner of our house.. no luck.  Then one day my husband decided to try Hamburger helper... with this Bison meat.  It was dry and not very appetizing, I had a bite and considered it a lesson learned.

Fast forward... as I sit here looking through the mail at the catalog we STILL get for our previous owner.  I am flipping through a Dr. Fosters and Smiths.  It dawns on me that these people were really in to their dog.  Suddenly it hits me --- that styrofoam container of ground bison with just the odd white sticker that said "bison"... was probably for their dog.  We ate high end dog food.  Rest assured, Violet and Veruca's Taste of the Wild is safe.

Mm, sometimes knowledge can be embarrassing as you realize the mistakes and assumptions you had before.  As I hang my head and laugh at myself I thought I would share... 

Humbly,
Heather

Views: 44

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bison Helper...that is a new one. Good thing you only had one bite. LOL!
I only had one bite... my husband on the other hand... LOL.
Well, if it was good enough for their dog..............
LOL
That is hilarious. You guys are adventurous for even trying that bison meat. I wouldn't have been so brave! I too have learned so much since joining DK!
I completely understand what you are feeling!! Sometimes I just shudder when I think of what I DIDN'T know about caring for dogs (and cats!) and how my previous fur babies suffered because of my ignorance!! The internet and DK have really brought the information we need right into our homes!! I'm grateful!!! And Tara is TOO!!

BTW,Tara's favorite treat from the Doggie Boutique is Bison/Cheese rolls!!! There must be something to it!!! LOL!
I thought it was pretty funny... and I am red-faced! hah.

It is amazing how differently you look at things when you know better. I had to hide my cringe Saturday at the Vet when a friendly guy I was talking to spoke of getting his purebred from a Pet Store. All I could think was puppy mill.

I remind myself I got my Bichons from pet stores. I was just out of High School. Yes, I loved my Bichons... they were child replacements when I was focused on school but really wanted babies. I got my dogs. I think back now on the choices I made now, out of true ignorance... and I am saddened. I wish I could do it over. I feel guilty. Grooming choices, food choices.. training choices (Or I should say LACK of training). I've grown up with pets and still had no idea how to be a good dog owner.

I made up my mind when I got Veruca that I would research, learn and take obedience classes. I didn't want a dog that lived outside. I didn't want a dog we couldn't take places. I enjoy her *so* much more because of the effort I put into her. We both benefit. I still have a long way to go, my girls are patient with me as I learn. It's like a marriage, you can't just take. If you really love some one... or some thing.. you should be willing to put an effort out there and you should be HAPPY to do it. I thought that loving my dog, feeding my dog, getting regular vet care was enough. I had a lot of maturing to do to really understand... and then I found DK and discovered even more I didn't know. Six months ago I wouldn't have considered microchipping or pet insurance, now I am positive we're doing the chipping and reading up on Pet Insurance. Life is a constant learning process. :)
I think many of us feel exactly the same way, Heather. I'm so grateful to all the "experts" on this site who readily share their knowledge and insights. I feel like I'm a much more responsible dog owner with the Doodles than with my other dogs.....I actually fed those guys the "dreaded Purina". Who knew? I've got this mental picture of your DH "chowing" the "Bison Helper"....too funny.
ROFLOL! It was probably very good for you :-)
Reminds me of my dad's friends who came to stay in his condo when he was out of town for a weekend. They thanked him for the bowl of snacks on the little table in the corner of the kitchen. They never saw the cat because he's a timid fellow, but they helped themselves to his food!
ROTFL too!!! That is a great kitty kibble story!!!!
Lol .. like it was just a bowl of peanuts sitting out? I wonder if he had a few beers first? Might explain the choice!
We all have learned so much from DK!! That is what a virtual 'play group' is all about. That is how I describe DK to those who just can't fathom so many people linked onto 1 site for their doodles!!! A friendly place that 1 can ask questions, learn, share what they have learned and to laugh at ourselves.

I eat Bison meat - it is much healthier than beef and tastes the same. I wonder why you had such an awful experience

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service