DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Took the dogs to their 6 year checkup yesterday. Lilo who has been on a constant diet for over a year to lose 4 lbs has gained another 2 instead... she now weighs 72lbs. Rocky weighs 67lbs but he's built leaner and his weight has been stable for the past 3 years. The vet thought Lilo might have hyperthyroidism, but the bloodwork just came back negative. He told me Lilo needs more exercise and less food.

BUT: the dogs already get 2 hours of offleash exercise in the morning (hiking/walking/playing ball) + they run around in the yard for hours EVERY single day, rain or shine. Plus, my husband or son walk them in the afternoon for 1/2-1 hour. They eat Natural Balance fish & potatoes or bison & potatoes; Rocky gets 2.5 cups per day + toppings (cooked chicken liver, chicken, broth, tuna, beans, or other low-fat stuff), Lilo gets 1.5 cups + toppings. She does get a few treats too when I track and train with her 3-4 times/week; I use the tiniest salmon treat I can get, so she eats maybe 1/2 bag total per week of those.

So, I am at a loss for what to do and how to get Lilo to lose some belly fat. Any ideas????

Views: 124

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have no idea but since I need to lose some lbs myself - let me know what you find out. 

ha - perhaps you can come over and walk Lilo!!! I'm exhausted!!
You're funny-wouldn't we all like to know?

Not sure but they sure eat "WELL" and exercise well, some of us are just meant to be a little more than we need to be.

My cat has been a "diet" for 6 years-he don't care, he's going to sleep if he wants to.

Good luck, hope you get some good advice on this.

Uh, Oh! We're taking our Doodles to the Vet next week for their check up and Sydney looks like she packed on some pounds over the past few months. We guess it's a bit late to try and slim her down. Of course, she eats whatever Olivia leaves in her bowl. And all the cheese we treat her to is porbably not the best thing to slim her down. Does Lilo eat Rocky's food?
no, Lilo only eats her own food! We feed them seperately and she gets much less than Rocky.
A cup and a half of food doesn't sound like very much and your other dog is not gaining weight, any chance she is sneaking food somewhere else? If you find the secret to losing belly fat, you could be a very rich woman. I guess sit ups are out of the question. :>)

ha - could perhaps look into doggie lipo?

Lilo has been known to hunt rodents, frogs, birds, and other critters in the yard, but I didn't think she ate too much raw food. Hmmmmm.... perhaps I need to monitor her outdoor activities more closely?

My vet said Webber needed to loose weight last year.  I switched him from Orijen Adult to Orijen Senior.  I still give him the same amount of bulk...1.5-2 cups a day but there are less calories.  He has lost the weight he needed to and has maintained it for a year.  Instead of "treats" I give him carrots and sometimes the dehydrated chicken breasts (Dogswell) broken into small pieces.   Your dogs sound like they are getting a lot more exercise than mine are getting.  It just has to be calories in are more than calories out if there is no metabolic reason for the weight gain.  What is the number of calories in the Natural Balance?
Switching foods is definitely an option, I may look for a low-cal option. There is no cal info on the bag, but according to the chart, Lilo is supposed to eat between 3 and 4 cups per day - if I gave her that much, she'd be really fat!!
I was going to say the same thing Jane said...I have no suggestions, but I have the same problem as Lilo.
I would cross post in the Food Group.  I would also cut back on "toppings" or explain more about them.  There can be a lot of hidden calories in the extra's and broth is so sodium rich it needs to be provided in small doses. BTW, my Bandit is heavy in the middle and just over 1 yr, so something we certainly have to watch!!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service