DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I give my puppy a 1/2 cup of dry food three times a day. And morning time I add a spoonful of can food mixed in. She is on a grain free food. Between 8 weeks and 10 weeks she went from 9 pounds to 12.5 pounds. But when I feed her she acts like she is starving and wants more. Am I not feed her enough?

Views: 729

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It would depend on what brand and formula you are feeding her. All dog foods and their feeding guidelines are not the same. Is there a reason you are giving her a spoonful of canned food? I think toppers create finicky eaters. We also have a great food group here that can better help you with your food questions than the main forum. If you ask this over there you will get a very informed answer after a few questions are answered. Welcome and congratulations on your new puppy.   http://www.doodlekisses.com/group/thefoodgroup

Most puppies act like they are starving--she might have been fed with her littermates from a large bowl and had to fight to get her share--that can get crazy!  So, this is not unusual and will get better---the amount sounds right if it is a good quality food and a puppy food. The weight gain sounds right too--about a pound a week, but she gained a bit more because she was finally getting her own bowl. 

You can get "slow feeders" that have a maze in the bowl that the dog has to lick the food out of. Or there are toys that you put the kibble in and as they roll them around, the kibble comes out--this will slow her down and then she will feel more full at the end of the meal--you can also soak the kibble so that it is fatter when she eats it and it fills her better--it takes about a half hour for the kibble to swell in her stomach, so that is why she feels that she is still hungry. I raise puppies, so these are tricks I use to get them to not act crazy when the food comes, but it does not help that much!  It is instinct to fight with siblings to get the meal.

okay I won't increase her amount then.  She is fine between meals and doesn't act too hungry!  She is growing so fast and is a wonderful addition to the family

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service