DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hello,

I am new to this site and to the process of adopting a puppy through a breeder.  Our dog who passed away was a pound puppy.  I have read the "how to find a breeder" tips which are great but I am still confused about one issue.  I would like to meet the breeder, see their home and the cleanliness of it, and meet the parent dogs PRIOR to paying a non-refundable deposit of $500.  I do not feel comfortable just viewing someone's website and paying them the deposit.  i have called several breeders and emailed them as well and have gotten pretty much the same answer - they don't allow visitors until they have the paid deposit.  It seems backwards to me.  One website actually stated they prefer no phone calls - emails only.  Am I wrong to want to at least visit with the potential breeder on the phone, let alone, meet them?  Maybe that's just the way things are done now.  If so, please let me know; as I said, I'm new to this process. 

By the way, we are looking to adopt a calm, Australian multi-gen Labradoodle, female, medium sized to small, with a caramel coloring and soft wavy coat.  We live in Oregon near Portland area.

Thanks for any pointer you might have for us.

Kathy

Views: 415

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't blame you for wanting to visit before giving a non-refundable deposit. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that, either. I would want to meet the parents and see where the dogs are raised before committing to any puppy from any breeder.

I do understand why some good breeders have this policy...they don't want to have lots of people who are not serious potential buyers and who just want to see some cute dogs and/or puppies traipsing through their homes and properties. There is also a danger of someone bringing in parvo or some other devastating disease on their shoes. That's also why they prefer emails; it would be hard to have anything like a normal life if the phone was constantly ringing with questions from dozens of people who might have no intention or ability to buy a puppy but want information about doodles in general, etc.

I'm not sure what the answer is. Maybe you could agree to send a deposit in the form of a check that would be held until after you had visited?  You can always stop payment on a check if the breeder refused to honor the agreement, although there usually is a fee. I would think that a reputable breeder who has nothing to hide would be willing to work with you on this issue so that both of you could feel comfortable and be protected.

Personally, if I couldn't visit until I paid my money, I would NOT choose that breeder.  I agree with you that is backwards.  What I would do is try to establish rapport with the breeder so that they would see that I am serious about purchasing. Tell them about yourself so that they can see what a great person you are.  In my e-mails, I would ask them all the questions from "How to Choose a Breeder" and if their answers satisfy you, I would ask to visit. I don't care if it bothers a breeder to have visitors or not; if I wasn't welcome, I would not put money down.  Deposit o be held? - ha! No way!

Why should it bother the breeder.  They are in business.  Do we not go to stores to purchase things?  Are we bothering the store workers by visiting during posted hours?

But you're not in the store workers' homes, lol.

I don;t agree with the breeders' policies on this, but it does seem to be pretty common. Maybe they just have something to hide.

If there are some you are considering you can always list their names here and ask for private references from people who have been there. 

Frankly, this happens a lot- pretty much no one allows you to visit without being a serious buyer, and even then it's not always accepted. Be warned that you might not even be able to visit after your puppy is born. One way to avoid the visit but hear from others is to try and find someone who is a guardian home for the breeder's dogs-- this sold me on the breeder, even though I wasn't allowed to visit. I understand not allowing strangers at your home viewing puppies or hanging out.

There is a breeder within 3 hours of me who I have visited even when I wasn't going to buy a puppy.  And right after we got Boca and the breeder had puppies, we were welcome again--with Boca in tow.  Granted I wasn't a complete stranger and being the head of this site lent me some credibility and I had emailed back and forth with the breeder quite a bit.  Was even considering guardianship...loosely. 

Frankly, I think it is a bit extreme to only allow visitors with a NON-refundable deposit.  But I realize this is common with doodle breeders.  Perhaps because they breed more litters and thus can lose more litters, I don't know.  One thing that I can't imagine is that it is a requirement of breeding for nobody to ever set foot in your home besides those who live there and step in bleach on their way in. 

I do realize that it would be a pain to have curious people constantly wanting to stop by and to make time for all the people who aren't serious.  But I would think having a set day (once a week, once a month, once every two weeks?) when they would accept visitors could take care of that...as well as requiring potential buyers to fill out a form, get references, etc.  But not that many people can afford to drop $500 per breeder in order to make an educated choice about where one's puppy comes from.  Every single 'how to pick a breeder' bullet list suggests you meet the pup's parents (or at least mom) and see how pups are raised.  

If you'd like to send me a message, I can tell you about my breeder in Oregon, who I love!

Thank you Wendy.   I would love that info.  I don't see a "message" button for you however...not sure how to message you.  Sorry.

Sally, the DK guidelines prohibit recommending breeders or providing their info and website links here in the open forum. You can leave a comment on a person's page or send them a friend request so that you can PM them.

And I would stay far away from that last one you mentioned. They are not following good breeding practices for conformation or coats, and they are not doing proper genetic health testing on the parents.

We did get Milo from there without ever meeting with her....but Shari was very good at returning e-mails and we called her as well.  Milo flew cross country.  We could not have asked for a better breeder.  Milo is 8 months old and a complete joy....I would not hesitate to go back.-- Breeder name removed by Admin

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service