DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Yesterday, it rained all day. Not a light rain either....it was a "walk your dog and get drenched day," which I did twice. The dogs were bored, so I gave them a new bone in the evening and settled down to watch Dancing With the Stars.  If you know anything about me, no one bothers me when DWTS is on. My family even has instructions to hold all calls from the Pope. About an hour into the show, I hear a god awful sound and minutes later, another one. I go out into the foyer and Fudge is frantically circling, licking her lips, moaning, and gulping. I immediately thought she had Bloat. When I let her outside, she was frantic, trying to eat grass, making whimpering noises,  and I noticed that she had vomited in the house, which I assume was the source of one of the loud noises.  Of course, I was home alone.  I checked for obstructions, did not see one, and loaded them in the car and by this time, she was less frantic, but still gulping.

Part of the reason for this discussion is to remind everyone to have a plan when there is an emergency.  I lose my keys every single day. I have already lost my set of car keys and could not find the spare set of keys or the single spare key we keep for emergencies. I couldn't find my phone and kept running to and fro trying to find things and wasting valuable time. Finally, I located the spare key, got ahold of my pet sitter to keep Vern, and Fudge and I made our way to the ER vet.

Once we got there, Fudge's symptoms seemed to be far less severe (naturally) but she was gulping and extending her neck repeatedly. They ruled out bloat, but thought she might have an obstruction.  Fudge was perfect and made me proud. They x-rayed her and did not see an obstruction, but did feel she had shards of bone in her colon waiting to pass. When I got home, the bone I gave them only had a few tiny pieces missing, and the only other thing I know that she has been chewing on is an antler. I will say they have a basket of bones, so I can't be sure.  They gave her fluids and medicine, sent us home with more medicine, and want her on a chicken and rice diet for a couple of days to let her esophagus rest. 

They said no food and water for 8 hours and when we got home, I put the food dishes up and Fudge sat in the kitchen staring at the bowls.  She would not move away from those bowls, and I disobeyed the doctor and opened a can of Fromm soft food and gave her just a bit.  Of course, I found out moments later why no one calls me Dr. Laurie, when she threw it up.  The good news is when she threw up that time she threw up some feathers and what looked like a tiny bone and that seemed to stop the gulping.  She slept all night and did not move this morning when my husband got up. Today, she is tired, but seems better and ate her chicken like a champ. 

I am going to try and have a small kit by the door from now on in case of another emergency. Thank goodness if was not bloat, because every second counts, and I lost many with my poor organizational skills and forgetfulness. Another reminder to get Pet Insurance, because this 4 hour visit cost over $500.

P.S. Nothing proves to my family more than this how much I love my Fudge. I did not hesitate to turn off Dancing with the Stars to take Fudge to the vet.

Views: 951

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am glad that Fudge is ok.  You said she threw up feathers and a small bone, do you think she ate something in the yard?

I think she got something on our last walk of the day. I did see feathers, but did not see her get into them :(

What a very scary evening you had!  Poor Fudge baby.  Very glad for the positive outcome.  Do you think Fudge caught a bird?  I'm clapping for you that you turned off DWTS!  

Thanks, Sharon. I didn't even hesitate :) I think she picked something up on our walk and I did not notice.

Thanks for posting "Luckily she is Fine!" on the title line because I was about to freak!!! So glad your girl is okay but what a scare!  Feathers?

Do you have a DVR? Did you record DWTS or do you have to go without? I'm  so proud of you!

This woman has ignored all my advice re: DVRs : )

Thanks, Ricki.....I knew this would come up once DVR was mentioned..LOL!!

Ricki, Don't get F started about a DVR...LOL! I do not have one, but no sacrifice is too small for my Doodle, although I did mention to her while we were waiting that Tuesday would have been a better day for her shenanigans. LOL Thank you!

What and missed the results?

Thank goodness, it was not Thursday and I had to miss Person of Interest. Sometimes, the results show is too long and gets on my nerves :)

The beauty of the DVR is I skip many parts. Most of the celebrities are not my cup of tea, don't need to see the pro dancers etc. I can watch lots of shows since I zip thru commercials, parts I don't like etc.

you know, you can stream it on the internet (no downloading required). No commercials either!

http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/internet/dancing_with_the_stars/

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service