DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Views: 78

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, this is one of reason I love the Easy Walk Harness. Probably the Head halter somewhat has better control, but at the cost of possible damage to the neck if pulled suddenly to the side.
There is an interesting article about Head Halter:
http://flyingdogpress.com/headhalters.html
Hi Meredith and Oliver, We use the "Canny Collar" on Bisbee. It is a head collar but attaches behind the neck instead of the front like a horse halter (gentle leader) and as you pull up it applies pressure across the nose. Do a search online, cannycollar.com, and watch the video. Bisbee is a puller (we are working hard on this) so if we are going shopping or somewhere with lots of distractions (critters/children, long walks, etc) we use the canny collar, otherwise we just use his flat collar/leash. And, yes they can open their mouths believe me, carry sticks, eat treats and bark, it's not a muzzle. Good luck.
I have a suggestion to try to achive the "loose leash" method. Try in your back yard where your dog will not be distracted. When they pull call their name and say "YES" turn and walk in a different direction to make your dog follow, this helps with the "HEEL" command too. You can also give small treat when the respond to their name. Just keep going in a different direction as soon as they pull. Remember to call theri name and say "YES". You will be suprise how soon they catch on when done in the yard..then when they have it you can move on to the streets....hope this helps..it has worked for all my furry kids.
We use the head harness and we love it ! Its takes a couple of days to used to but it works great.
We use the head collar one for Casey - but then, he's HUGE. A harness would just be a way for him to pull Mom around.
We're almost finished with puppy obedience training and the chest harness was recommended by our trainer. We all used them in class and practice during the week. Barney no longer pulls on the leash at all.
Mary Beth_ He couldn't pull you around with the GL Easy Walk-it has a martingale attachment at the front of the chest, and if the dog tries to pull, he ends up turned around facing you. He absolutely cannot pull or move forward. It's a brilliant design!
I've tried this on a couple dogs (not mine) and the only thing I realized I don't like is that in order for the harness to prevent pulling the dog has to be out in front of you...(well if the dog is next to you you don't NEED it) but I can't handle dogs walking out in front...that drives me nutty :-)
Good thing you didn't walk Jackdoodle, LOL! (Although for YOU, he probably would have walked beside you.)
It is brilliant........best thing I ever bought for giada!!!
We have both and for now we use the harness and love it. I think the head collar is good if the pup has a jumping problem too while walking and doesn't just have the natural tendency to pull on the leash while walking.
how adjustable is the harness? i'm guessing i should invest in 2? one for his puppyhood and one for when he's an adult?

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service