DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

So when I picked up Stuart today I knew that he was on meds for Coccidia & round worms - he is on a 10 day treatment of Albon - he has 3 more days.  And I had made a Vet appt. for him, here in Atlanta as I have to stop for 2 days in Ocala and will not get home till Friday.  I figured I was being overly cautious but oh my DOG!  Stuart pooped for me today (outside - good boy) and I took that stool in.  They also swabbed another sample from his butt.  Well he has Giardia!  He is also very under weight - his little ribs stick out when you touch him - breaks my heart.  He has gained two pounds though since his last weigh on 5/31 but at 8 weeks is only 6.5 pds.  We started him on meds for the Giardia - Metronidazole.  I'm trying to be brave but I am a total germaphobe!!!!  I feel all icky with worry about catching something.  I am worried about Rooney when I get back home on Friday.  I don't know anything about any of this stuff but I will tell you this.  I LOVE this little guy, he is mine and I WILL do whatever gross thing that I must to get him healthy.  He has a funny odor (vet said do not bath for a few days - too much stress already).  He has gone potty outside every time I put him down!  I guess I'm begging for advice and moral support because I'm so out of my element with this.   Any advice on how not to infect Rooney or myself is welcome.  Thank goodness the Giardia was caught early - his poop was soft but not runny.  Help.

Views: 473

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't have any advice for you, just moral support.  Hang in there.  You can get this guy healthy.  I'm sure lots of others will respond with some advice for you, because I think a lot of others on DK have gone through this.  Stuart found himself a great new person, and I'm sure he'll recover quickly with your help.
I'm crying now because I feel so sad for him and scared.  How did the 1st vet that they looked at him not see the Giardia?  I certainly don't want my Rooney to get sick or me either, too icky for words.  I MUST BE STONG.  But worms are nasty!  His little tummy is all distended due to parasites and then his little ribs are a sticking right out.  I'd like to kick someones ass for letting any animal be in this condition!  I believe that we will get through this but it is my 1st rescue and I guess I didn't realize how bad - BAD could be. 

Huff has never had Gardia- thank dog. What are the symptoms? On that note I am sure he will be ok just give hime time and post many many pictures and brag as much as you can. Just remember: be very clean until the gardia passes.

Be brave and know you can do this.  It will soon be a thing of the past, and you will be on Cloud 9!  Let the vet direct you, and ask all of the same questions you have just posted.  You are one smart and determined lady.  All will fall into place for you and Stuart before you know it.  Those icky things are passing problems, and soon your fat and sassy Stuart will be rolling around with your sweet Rooney!

Jane, it will be okay. I had a foster with raging giardia, and this was a 65 lb dog, so lots more germy poop exposure. I was a wreck, because JD was on immunosuppressants for his allergies at the time, but neither he nor I got anything, even with this parasite-infested shelter dog pooping in the same yard more than 10 times a day.

If the puppy isn't too young for it, beg your vet for Panacur. It's more effective against giardia than the metronidazole, and they only have to take it for three days. It's a powder you mix into wet food.

Wear rubber gloves when you clean up the poop, clean the pup's butt good, and spray anything the poop touches with a bleach solution (one part bleach to 9 parts water.) That's all I did, and it was good enough.

Buy some plain non-fat yogurt and give Stuart a spoonful with meals, that will help keep the good bacteria in his gut and maybe also help him gain a little weight.

You can get through this, and we are all here to help. Hugs and doodle kisses to you and your new baby.

Giardia is a "pain in the butt"....but it's not anything that will have serious consequences.  Guinness had it as a puppy, and Murphy just had it (he actually may still have it).  Your Vet will probably suggest that you also treat Rooney, since the puppy will be in the house.  I always treat both dogs at the same time, even when the other one doesn't test positive.  I agree with Karen on the Panacur....I think the only issue might be Stuart's age.  The real key is going to be to wipe the puppy's butt really well after every time he poops...and before he comes in contact with Rooney.  I use baby wipes for this and I wipe Murph down really well.  If at all possible I'd take the puppy to a different place to poop than where you're taking Rooney...just for now.  I think you're in a condo (like us), so is it possible that there are separate areas where you could take them for their "potty trips".  Humans catch Giardia by coming in contact with the protozoa in the poop and then touching their mouth.  So just scrub your hands a lot....after every time you've held the puppy (and may have touched his "butt area").  My Vet told me that if we're really very diligent about washing our hands we should be fine....and so far nobody in the family has been infected from the dogs.  I know it sounds a little gross, but it really is not a big deal....but I won't kid you it's more work.  I would also be very careful about having the puppy on Rooney's bed (or yours).
Even though Sedona came from a reputable breeder, she had both Giardia and Coccidia when she had her first vet visit after she came to live with us.  A couple of rounds of medicine and presto - no problem.  Granted, we didn't have a 2nd dog to worry about, but I think all should be well with Stuart soon!!!

Hey Jane - giardia and worms ARE gross...no two ways about it! Callie has had giardia and pretty much every foster I've ever had came with a worm of some persuasion (hook, whip, tape, etc...fortunately never heart!). And it has been gross and sad. And I know how Karen felt when she had that wormy dog with Jack. I take immunosupressants myself and freaked that I would get it when Callie had giardia. I washed my hands a lot, limited the areas where Callie could go poop (and picked it right up), and spent a lot of time with clorox wipes. I didn't get it and Callie didn't give it to a single other dog in our very dog-laden community (Callie got it from eating dog poop...from a dog I was keeping for a friend...no good deed, etc).

The medicine WILL help. He may need more than one course. You will occasionally feel frustrated. You will frequently go "ick".  And then, sweet little Stuart will be all better. (and you'll freak out a little bit any time he has a soft poop for a few months - I know I did!).

Stuart is so, so cute and this too will pass (no pun intended) and soon you will have two happy, parasite free romping doodles!!! Keep us updated!

Jane, It is going to be fine. Karen and Frannie gave you great advice about what to do and you can do it!! That pup came to you for a reason and you are capable and strong. Hang in there and before you know it, you are going to have some great Rooney and Stuart stories.
The great thing is there is already really good advice here, which when you follow it will lead Stuart to good health and without compromising any of you or Rooney.  You are strong and you have fallen in love with this little guy.  This will pass soon and you will look back and breathe a big sigh of relief.  Hang on in, we are all here.  I'm afraid I have no words of advice just ones of support which I hope helps a little at least. Wishing you lots of strength and patience.
You all (along with a glass of wine) will get me through this.  What in the world would I EVER do without all of you here to support, advise, cry and laugh with?  He is mine and we will get through this.  Thank you all so much.  You guys make me a better dog owner.
Don't drink too much wine, and forget to wear your rubber gloves...LOL!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service