DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

My F1b goldendoodle is now 4.5 months old, getting big and growing up fast. I am soliciting your ideas about when we should think about having Daisy's first haircut. Her puppy hair is a little on the straight side but we can see that the adult hair underneath seems to be a tighter curl. My wife brushes and combs daisy daily and there are no mats. One groomer told her not to think about her first cut until age 7 or 8 months. I have read other places that a lot of people have their doodle shaved at some point to get rid of all the puppy fur and let the adult coat emerge. Any thoughts?
------------

Views: 31062

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great question, I to have a Goldendoodle puppy that's 14 weeks old. My son thinks we should cut her hair, but I'm not sure if this is a good idea yet. Would love to here when it would be a good time to have her first haircut. Will be looking to see the responses to your question.

We took both of our doodles to the groomer when their hair was in their eyes & they began to look messy.  Don't exactly remember their ages, but think they were around 5-6 months.

Don't you just love brushing Daisy?  It is such a great bonding time.  I was told to get my puppy used to the grooming process by 4 months.  Just to hear the buzz of the clippers and the blower.  Darla (now 1 year old golden) went at 4 months and the groomer just bathed her, cut her nails, trimmed around her face and her private area. Now she goes every 6 weeks.  Hope this helps and have fun loving Daisy!

I agree with taking her just for a simple trim to just get used to the process.  I'm planning on doing my own grooming, so  I started using the clippers on yogi between 4 1/2- 5 months on his belly just to get him used to the feel and sound.  Same thing with the blow dryer, started using it probably at 3 months.

I doubt there is a set age to take a dog for it's first haircut, as they all grow out so differently. But getting her used to it from the very beginning is very important in her being comfortable with someone touching her paws and clipping nails, brushing her, which you are already doing and that is very good to get her used to being touched and groomed. If the hair starts looking unkept and you would like a neater look then it's time to bring her. And whether you just trim the puppy hair or shave it all off, it won't have any effect on what grows back from there or her permanent coat. The bigger question is how prepared and comfortable is she with being touched. For some that may take 4 -5 -6 months.
I have always groomed mine, and Murphy got his first good trim by 3 months because he was growing hair so fast and it was wispy puppy hair that made him look like he put his paw in a light socket. Dh and I did is slowly, gradually , treated, played with him and he is 5 yrs old now and has always sat great from grooming. Good luck

Daisy has no problem with persons touching her. We both brush her a lot, I began massaging her paws from the day we brought her home. She has had 2 puppy baths and private areas and nails touched up so she should be no problem for full haircuts when the time comes. About 2 weeks ago I took her to the Tillie Fowler dog park across from NAS Jax. We had been there a few times on the 1.2 walk through the woods but this was the first time I took her to the dog park. Anyway her and a 7 month old Boston Terrier decided to run the fence between the puppy and the large dog parks and there was a low lying area with standing water and mud. They both ran full speed through the stuff and Daisy was completly covered with mud. Fortunately I have a canvas hammock type thing in the rear seat area of my truck so I wasn't worried about the ride home. Once home I took her outside in the back yard and in a fairly large kind of kids swimming pool I filled it with water and she stood still while I washed her completly with no tears baby shampoo. My wife took her inside and toweled and then blow dried her. She was great through the whole thing. I can't wait to take her back to the park but since she was spayed only 6 days ago I will wait about another week or so. She is a lady but does not mind getting dirty and does not mind water at all. Can't wait for summer to introduce her to the pool.

We just took our 7.5 month old mini goldendoodle for her first haircut.  I was pleasantly surprised.  I was very attached to her long scraggly hair, but now that we took the plunge, I think she is even cuter.  I took in a picture of what I wanted her to look like and the groomer did an excellent job!  She left her hair about an inch long and did not shave real close around her face (per my instructions) 

I think my Goldendoodle is going to look a lot like yours. I have noticed that my Emma's' coat has gotten lighter since bringing her home. You mentioned she is a mini goldendoodle, and I was wondering how big she will get? She looks absolutely beautiful in the pictures.

Thank you!  They said 25-30 lbs.  It's been a while since I've weighed her but she is probably pushing 30 lbs if I had to guess.  She is about 17 inches tall.

I love the cut you git. Would you tell me just what your instructions were since I want Scout's just like that. Soo cute!

Beautiful! How long is the fur on her body?

Thank you!  It's about an inch all over.  It feels like velvet almost, like you think when you rub your hand one direction it will change color.  SO SO SO soft!  

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service