DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Finally, after much reading about Labradoodles, the time has come to choose a breeder and put in a deposit for a Spring puppy.  But I am still hesitant and confused.  I live in Santa Barbara, CA and have yet to find a breeder of mini  Labradoodles very close to us.  Some breeders on my short list live about a day’s drive away, okay for picking up a puppy, but not conducive to many home visits.  However, even some breeders on my short list, in spite of glowing testimonials and photos of puppies that fill my heart with love and joy, seem to have a few red flags.  I need help sorting these out.  Should I eliminate breeders from my short list if they do these things?

1. Spay or neuter at 8 weeks.  Our two rescued kittens, Rosie and Puffin, had this done to them, and they are now 6-year-old healthy cats.  The Rescue cat lady said that the new micro surgical techniques made this possible.   But of course, they are cats, not dogs.
  2. I know this is a whole can of worms, but I read a couple of posts from a few years ago on Doodlekisses about Rutland Manor.  If a breeder mentions Rutland Manor as good thing in her “about us” section is that a red flag?   Even though she health tests all current mother and father dogs, is this a problem?
  3. Many of the breeders use guardian homes so that every dog gets to have a loving family.  I love this concept.  If a breeder is doing this, and yet still has a few “retired” mother dogs to rehome, is this a red flag?  It seems to me that the guardian homes would still love them, even though retired or am I misunderstanding something?  Certainly the dogs would love their guardian families and want to be with them after bonding with them for 5 or 6 years.

I appreciate  your help in sorting all of this out.  I understand we can’t rate individual breeders here, but if anyone has any suggestions about mini Labradoodles close to Santa Barbara, CA, feel free to write to me personally.  Thank you in advance.  I love coming to Doodlekisses and reading everyone’s stories and seeing all the cute Doodle pictures!

Views: 5401

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One of my doodles littermates lives in Santa Barbara! They take fletcher everywhere but he is a big standard chocolate boy. I think doodles are like every other dog, you get out of them what you put into them. Start socialization and positive experiences when they are young along with consistent, fair and loving treatment and you are on the path to a lovely dog. Best of luck!

I've seen some beautiful and well-behaved doodles around town, which is what got me interested years ago.  Our vet thought labradoodles are a good fit because both labs and poodles are good breeds. She did say they are a mix not a breed, although I prefer to think of the multigenerational ones as  "developing" breed.  I won't tell you which breeds our vet suggested we NOT get for fear of starting a whole big thing.   ;o)

: )

you get out of them what you put into them

I so agree.  We are in our 60's. I have a plate in my neck, my husband just had his shoulder replaced, and all is fine.  We got our now 53 lb ADL when he was 11 weeks and since then he has gone through 3 training classes and is the most mellow and good boy.  We both still work full time so he goes to day care usually twice a week-which tuckers him out nicely.  He is crated during the day and knows when we are leaving to run into the crate so he can have his Kong filled treats. When we are home, he loves a good game of fetch and it tires him out as well.  When its too cold for me, I stand in the door and throw the ball! 

Wishing you all the best in your quest for a four legged companion! 

I am no spring chicken. I took on Luca, a large medium, and Calla, a small standard. It was rough when Luca was a puppy because I knew nothing about puppies. Once I got us in obedience classes, found DooodleKisses, and learned a lot, all was well. So good that I got Calla a year later. I think minis are great in that you can lift them if they need help. I can barely lift Luca and forget about lifting Calla. I love my doodles and wouldn't trade them for the world. I take them as many places as I can including stores that will allow them. My dogs are not what I would call high energy at all but they do get going at times chasing each other in the yard etc. I just get out of the way. They still wear prong collars for insurance but really walking two of them is no problem for me. I think my dogs keep me well : )
;)
I used to get more exercise with my extra high energy doodle.
Sad, but I use his retriever trait to exercise him. He runs, I sit and throw a ball.
There are ways ....

This is what I do, too. Even indoors, with soft stuffed balls so nothing gets broken. I sit in an armchair and watch TV, he fetches. If you have stairs, you can sit and throw the ball down the stairs. Running up and down stairs tires them out fast! 

Ha! We have used the stairs so much, just the other day I swear he was doing this all by himself!
Up the steps, then drop it back down, up the steps, repeat. Over and over.

Oh yes, Luca has made up his own games too. He often steps on his ball just so and it bounces away so he can chase it : )

Yes, the dribble

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service