DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hello everyone, I am new to this site. I have been researching goldendoodles for a while and am looking to get a medium/miniature this summer. I am having a difficult time finding a breeder. I am in Florida. I found one that I liked but the she told me the sire ( F1) had not had hip testing because of his small stature (which made no sense to me) and that the Dam had MIT had testing but her parents had. Then I found another one who claims all her parent dogs have been tested but the sire of the litter I was looking at is only 14 months old and I know OFA cannot be done until after 2years. Her references were very impressive so now I am feeling extremely discouraged. The only other breeder I found in state charges $3000 and that's about 1k over budget.
Does anyone have any suggestions/insight ???? Could really use some help.

I just lost my 11 year old maltese after years of cardiac and health issues...... I really just want a healthy pooch.

Views: 814

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm really glad that you are focusing on health testing in selecting a breeder.

Here's a link to the GANA (Goldendoodle Assn. of North America) website's health testing policies, which all breeder members must meet or exceed to be listed. http://goldendoodleassociation.com/quickguidetesting.aspx

So you know that all of the breeders on their list have met these standards. 

Thank you! I did check out that website..... No florida breeders. Would like to try to stay in Fl. so I can check the places out on weekend trips.

What about a labradoodle?  The higher generation dogs really aren't appreciably different.
Also consider other states that are within a weekend trip.... 

If I were practically on an island ;-)  I'd have to consider a dog out of state.  Might be worth flying to pick up the pup on the east coast.  Would you consider doing that?  If you listed a handful of breeders that you were considering out of state, I'm sure we could help you weed out the wrong ones by private message.

There is an excellent Goldendoodle breeder whose puppies are in your price range and who will fly the puppy to you and hand delivery him for an additional fee. All of that is still less than $3000. 

And if this is who I think it is, she Loves coming to FL!  lol

Yes it is, Sheri. :)

And if I live long enough for another Doodle....she's the Breeder I'd want to get my puppy from.

I sent you a friend request if you want more info on this breeder.

I sent YOU a friend request! :-) We're thinking of maybe getting another doodle later this year and exploring our options. Curious to hear you gals are talking about....

Did you go to our HELP section at the top of the page where there is a Finding a breeder section?

Also, OFA can be done sooner--you get a "final" reading at 2 years old....but can get a preliminary score way before that--many stud dogs are less than 2 years old, especially if that prelim score is good or excellent.

If her references were good, than you are probably OK with that person--

Is that considered ok? I'm very new to this. This breeder gives a 3 year health warranty and 4 years if the dogs is on certain supplements

I wouldn't want a pup from a dog bred before age 2.  Yes hips might be fine, but some conditions that can NOT be tested for take a bit to show up.  Allergies, seizure disorder, etc.  You're never going to be guaranteed that a pup will be healthy till age 15.  But if you're going to go to the trouble of paying a high price to a breeder....

Of course you're not going to wait until all parents are 7 years old or anything, but a 14 month old is still a pup in many ways.  They haven't reached their maturity yet and I just would want to see what the adult was like--not the pup. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service