DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Chewie (6 months) got neutered today and seems to be doing well (physically) but seems to be quite aggitated. He is wearing a "cone" and I'm sure he isn't thrilled with that. The concern is when we have tried to move him close to us or pick him up, etc he growls and has tried to snap.

Now...these are some concerns that have surfaced from time to time with resource guarding or on occasion when he is tired or being bratty...but we were not at all prepared for it tonight.

We picked him up around 5p.m from the vet and they said he would be tired and laying around which he has not until now. I'm thinking he is reacting from not feeling well and maybe being nervous/afraid because of the cone and is trying to protect himself.

Either way...it is upsetting and not sure what to make of it or do. It is hard to "correct" him when he just had surgery but I know we can't let him think this is okay?

Anyone else have a dog act this way or any advice? Should we be concerned? It is so upsetting that this seems to be his "first" impulse at times.

We love him so much and yet hate this behavior.

HELP!

Views: 139

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

IMO, take off the cone! NO, no punishment. He is already stressed and afraid. I think he will calm down without the cone.
Most of us here had much better luck with the underwear. I'll add my picture, but do a search, there are better pictures and discussions recently posted. For Spud, he wore the underwear only a few hours and left every thing alone.
Good Luck. We all understand how stressful this can be for you and your dog.

Wow, that is a nice cone. He doesn't look so uncomfortable
By the way....where did you get Noah this cone? That is really nice! He is such a cutie too!
We did little boy's undies..and didn't have a problem. I wouldn't punish either..as I think he's just acting out from discomfort
I agree with everyone. He is just stressed out and may be in some pain, too.
I would leave him alone until he settles down on his own.
Kyoko, add your pic of Charli. It is precious.

Charlie wore a beater with holes for the hind legs cut out. But since she is a girl, the stiched area was much higher up than the area for the boys.
It's natural for an animal in pain to lash out blindly; it may hurt him to move, or maybe he's afraid it will hurt. I think it will be better as the shock wears off and he starts to heal. I'd cut him some slack for a day or two. Good luck, hope he's better soon!
Hopefully as I write this Chewie is feeling and behaving better. Some dogs (and some children) react with aggitation, anger and lashing out to general anesthesia. Pain medication can also have this affect. If it continues for more than a few days perhaps a return visit to the vet is in order.
I would say he is probably in pain and just uncomfortable. Maybe some pain medicine and let him take it easy. We put lizzie in a 2T onsie that worked pretty well instead of a collar. Hope he feels better soon!!!
Hi Julie,
Just checking to see how Chewie's night went? Hope all is better than yesterday. Let us know.
Thanks everyone. Chewie's night went well...he slept. He does seem kinda "depressed" with the E collar so we are going to get another option as soon as the stores open today. Thanks for all your responses...we'll keep you updated!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service