DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

My wife and I have had a long-haired miniature dachshund since we first got married 4yrs ago. We moved from an apartment into a new house this winter and we have been excitedly planning to get a larger breed puppy this spring. The timing is great since my wife is a school teacher and will be able to stay home to train the new puppy this summer.

We looked at different breeds and thought seriously about getting a golden retriever or a black lab, but were turned off by how much my brother-in-law's lab sheds. We started looking for either a labradoodle or a goldendoodle. I looked at a few local breeders, but nothing was quite working out timing wise. Also, my wife liked the idea of adopting or rehoming a dog. Our dachshund was from a local breeder. Our cat was rescued and she has turned out to be a great fit for us.

A month ago, I was looking on craigslist and saw an ad for a 7wk old F1 labradoodle. Molly's previous owner bought her at 6wks only to discover that her cat (large, 20lb) did not like her at all. The cat was reportedly attacking Molly. Previous owner said that her mom was a black lab and her dad a standard poodle. My wife and I rehomed Molly a month ago, and she is 11wks old today. She is mostly black, but has a little bit of white on her chest. 

We love Molly! She is playful and goofy, but easy to train. She is already mostly housebroken- as long as we take her out about once an hour. And lately she has been sleeping through the night, although she still occasionally wakes me up about half-way through at 2AM. Jessie, our dachshund, was pretty jealous at first and sort of mean to Molly, but after a few days they warmed up to one another. Now they play whenever one of them isn't asleep. Gato, our cat, is not a fan of Molly, but she stays out of the way and Molly is learning to leave her alone.

Anyhow, I was wandering if you guys could help me out with projections about her coat. Right now it is soft, fluffy and pretty straight. It has a bit of a wave to it and it is a little curly on her ears. I've not really seen many pictures of puppies with a coat like her. In fact, I think she looks more like a flatcoated retriever. Anyone seen a coat like hers? Any ideas what we can expect as she gets older? The first pictures are her at about 8wks and the one of her and my wife is at 10wks.

Views: 859

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Aaron! My cousin is actually married to an Aaron Brown- I think it must be a fairly common name. I don't think there is any predicting what their coat will turn out like, but I am a new doodle owner with not much expertise in the doodle breed. Here is a link to another group you may be interested in. People have posted this same question and others have responded about coat type with pictures http://www.doodlekisses.com/group/puptoadult Anyway, you have quite a cute pup either way. Our Mulligan is a bit fluffier and I am just as curious to see what he develops into as well. :) He is close to the same age as  your Molly. Have a great day! 

Hi Aaron, not sure what Molly will look like but she is adorable, such a sweet face! Another group to check out that has a lot of pictures is 'Where's the poodle in my doodle', lots of folks ask the same question and post pics so this might help figure it out.

Thanks! That sounds like a great group for me. I have been looking there a bit, and it is amazing how different some pups look after they are grown. 

Yes, Molly sure does look like a little black lab puppy, but no idea what her breeding may be.  It is really suspect buying a dog from Craig's List, but I hope it works out for you.  And the timing is good for a teacher who is off for the summer.  It sounds like a back-yard breeder to me.  It is really wise to leave breeding to the folks that are experienced with that, but rescue and rehoming is great for our little animal friends out there.  Hopefully, you have a healthy pet, but don't expect any of the qualities of the labradoodle.  Hopefully, she is non-shedding, but if you don't expect anything, you will be happy with what you get.  She is a darling pup.

Thanks, she is darling! I don't really have any question about her breeding- mom a black lab, dad a standard poodle. I also realize she will likely shed, as I've read that F1 labradoodles, especially ones with a hair type coat, usually shed. I'm hoping she doesn't shed as bad as a Labrador does, though. On the upside, her coat will likely be pretty easy to care for. Why do you say, 'don't expect any of the qualities of a labradoodle?'

She probably will shed as much as a labrador, but she's cute so it won't matter to you nearly as much ;-)

Soooooooo cute! I love her little face. Congrats on your new baby!!
Thanks!
Molly is adorable. We worry about back yard breeders because there is no health testing on the parents most times. Also, who knows if the parents really are who they were said to be. A responsible breeder doesn't sell a pup before 8 weeks. You might want to buy pet insurance. Enjoy Molly.

Hi Aaron and Welcome to Doodle Kisses!  Molly is a real cutie!  Be sure to post lots of photos of her so we can watch her grow up and see her turn into the beautiful girl she is certain to be!  You will enjoy exploring DK and find lots of helpful info here.  Join the Puppy Madness Group and get to know others who have new puppies too!  Have fun with your new pup!

Will do! Thank you!

What an adorable puppy and so nice of you to save her from going to a shelter. I have no predictions for her coat, but she has the most lovely eyes. My Max was pretty flat coated when I got him, but he has lovely wavy hair now, and when he gets wet he's very curly around his neck and on his butt. When he gets groomed the groomer makes him look very straight haired, like two different dogs lol. He also doesn't shed (at least not yet), so you never know what you're going to end up with I don't think. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service