DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Honey is in the most capable and and loving arms of Dr. Beam and his staff in Alvarado, Texas.  I spent some time with her before his staff took her in the back.  They explained she would have her surgery by Friday or Monday at the latest.  She then will begin a grueling and painful, for the first several weeks, 4-8 week rehabilitation.  Dr. Beam's assistant explained that because she is young it will probably be no more than 6 weeks and may be even quicker.  That is good news.

Before I departed his office to start back to Savannah I asked if I could see her again.  They took me back through their incredible facility to their kennels.  She was standing there in her large kennel with her favorite sleeping rug and her toys, but looking forlorn and confused.  I sat with her and held her through the kennel while she licked my ears, also known as Doodle Kisses.  I promised I would come back for her soon.  I then left.  It was not a good.....for me.

After regaining my composure I headed toward Savannah making it to Minden, LA before stopping for the night.  Tomorrow early evening I will make it back home. All-in-all I will log about 2800 miles.  Well worth it to me...and Joyce. 

Please keep in mind this was a DRC family effort.  We all participated whether it be making flight arrangements, the vets devoting their time and resources, her fosters, her transportation, those who donated for her surgery or the many who gave morale support to the latter.  As Jacquie commented today, we, DRC, are a family and a family can do awesome things together.

OK...time to get some rest and hit the road again tomorrow.  Thank y'all for everything EVERYONE has done.

Nite.

Views: 10458

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is such a touching video...to see how far Honey has come is nothing short of a miracle.  Bless all of the people involved in this major transformation.  Honey, you are beautiful!!

Thought I should watch this again at work to make sure it was as fabulous as it was at home!  I realized that Honey's original video was my introduction to DRC and Doodle Kisses - I don't even know how I came upon it.  I have witnessed many wonderful people doing many wonderful things for these dogs since then and this is the icing on the cake.  Not to mention, Dane and Joyce, you make a great video.  And yes, I had to reach for the Kleenex yet again!

Incredible Honey--it is so wonderful to see her so happy, running, and playing with her ball.

More happy tears for this special girl and the miracle of the hard work by many to get her here...

I have been asked to post an update for there are some folks out there that need their "Honey fix."  It has been a while since our last post for we have been extremely busy taking care of business here at the Berry Oaks Doodle Ranch and looking after our furry children: Guinness, Rosco and Honey.  Honey has really acclimated to, not only her new home and family, but to the weather here in Georgia's Low Country. The typical day is at this time of year is in the low 90s with humidity in the 70-80% range. Except for the, usually, daily afternoon/evening thunderstorm the days are pretty much clear and sunny. We do not have our central A/C on during the day so she has quickly learned where the cools spots are both in the house and outside and she so loves to be outside. Not to worry folks.  We turn the A/C on after sundown to a comfortable 72F for the night. After all, us old folks don't take the heat as well as we used to, but it sure is better than being cold.

Honey, over the past several weeks, has been running more and more and she is gaining strength in her back legs and hip at a very fast rate.  She has gained 7 pounds since we picked her up in Alavarado, TX back in July and she is looking fantastic.  She still has to fill out more, though. She should be at about 65 pounds (57 pounds now). We are sure most have seen the first video that started her journey.  It is the one her God-parents, then fosters, posted where she could barely get herself up.  Not the case anymore.  She pops herself up in an instant now no matter what kind of surface she is on.  You will see how easily and fast andwithout any effort at all she gets up in the following video.

A lot of her recovery is due to the close relationship she has formed with Rosco.  We knew he would be the one she would look up to and play with because Guinness is not real great with other dogs.  He tends to shy away from them, even Rosco who he has shared his life with for the past three years.  Don't get us wrong, he loves Rosco more than his ball throwing, but he is more of a people dog than a dog dog.

Rosco knew there was a problem with Honey's legs right away. As time passed and she became more mobile she would want to play with him as he did with her. When it was time she could run and play unrestrained they took off immediately and figured a play time routine that would not be rough and they both would have fun, and do they have fun. Rosco is the main rehabber for Honey now as he gets her to run, jump, tumble and roll. He is very aware, though, of her rear legs as he will not nip or do anything to them where with Guinness, that is where he hits him every time. This is what is strengthing her legs and hips, fun time.  We have no doubt she will have a normal life from now on.

She, very quickly, learned to love our traveling life-style of going to new places and doing new things. Like her brothers, she heads for the truck doors everytime they are opened hoping to go for a ride and see new stuff. Everyone who has come up to her has had nothing but huge compliments. Of course, she is just being herself, Honey.

Love this "Honey fix".  It is great to see her playing and running so freely.  I did notice that they stay mostly in the shade. : ) 

How in the world do you manage to keep the AC off during the day?  We have high temperatures and fairly high humidity here in Western Tidewater Virginia and I actually get physically sick from the heat and humidity.

We love the heat and humidity, however, when the temps get above 95F the A/C comes on for both us and the Doodles. Our home is well insulated and brick and it keeps the temps inside about 10 degrees cooler than the outside.

It's 95 degrees here in Chicago today!!! And the A/C is definitely on! 

And ou are sending the heat to us. Right now it's chilly out.

Wow, what remarkable progress. It's miraculous really. It's great Rosco and Honey now have each other for those chasing games. Wonderful update.

How happy!

What a joyful post! It's so wonderful to see Honey run and play!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service