DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi all. I'm new here. I don't have a Doodle but I have a question about Doodles. Perhaps more specifically, I have a question about LabraDoodles.

I have an Aussie mix (Pierson) and a Labrador (Maya) who are both very leash reactive when they see other dogs on a walk. Their leash reactions are resulted from different extremes. Pierson hates other dogs. When he sees one on a walk, he starts barking and jumping up and down like a rabbit. Maya, on the other hand, loves other dogs. When she sees other dogs, she also barks and lunges. But it is because she is so excited. It's like someone flipped a switch and she turns from the normally calm girl that she is into a 70 pound happy-frenzy. My dog trainer mentor calls it GLS (Goofy Lab Syndrome).

Now that winter is over, I am working on trying to desensitize them to other dogs and using positive reinforcement and the BAT dog training methods to try to readjust their behavior.

So my question is, how do LabraDoodles generally do around other dogs when on a walk? In general, because I know every dog is different. Do they love other dogs like Labradors tend to do? Do they get super-excited, or does the Poodle in them tend to temper that excitement?

I'm curious about the general characteristics of LabraDoodles. Even though it will probably be some time before I get another dog (because I'm going to make sure Maya and Pierson live for many many more years), my husband has already inquired about smart dog breeds that don't shed. ;)

Pierson and I have joined a dog walking group in order to work on his leash reactive behavior. This is as close as we can get so far without him going nuts.

Views: 587

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Before training: excited to see other dogs due to friendliness, would pull and lunge.
After training: A dog could run up to them on leash and they would be able to obey a sit stay anyway.
Now: 2 babies later we are rusty and they would probably do okay but break commands.

My labradoodles are happy to meet other dogs but not over the top excited. But I agree with others, you can't generalize.

As individual as fingerprints - or paw prints.  Like trying to eat something really big - take it one small bite at a time.

Ours loves people, other dogs and will ignore treats etc -  lots of exhuberant activity that really makes for a rough few minutes, but with time and practice = now if she sees a dog, butt hits ground! Sees a kid, butt hits ground! Our neighborhood park offered lots of visual teasers, but little by little hubby has taken to entertaining the neighbors kids & dogs by enlisting their help with r training - - wow, all are digging it. Including the family with the big GR!

Non shedding? ummmmm do more research please

Finnegan (a goldendoodle) is generally very excited to see other dogs because he wants to play.  However, usually he can sense aggression in other dogs and will either speed up to get away from the other dog or he will slow down and try to hide behind me.  :-)  He does pull either way either because he wants to play or because he wants to get away.  :-)

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service