DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

According to Dr. Stanley Coren, Dogs understand up to 160 words http://animal.discovery.com/pets/dogs-understand-words.htm

Gavin understands a dozen or more commands (words which we have "taught" him) but he has picked up several more.  We have made it a habit not to "label" exciting activities, as we have met other dogs who go ballistic when they hear the word "walk" which is often shortened to "W" so as not to illicit ballistic response.  However, Gavin has picked up on what walk means simply by eavesdropping on conversations between DH and I and making the connection.  For example "I am going to take Gavin for a walk now."  We are okay with this because he clearly indicates understanding by cocking his head or wagging his tail, without going ballistic.  Likewise he understands the meaning of "ball", "eat",  "final pee (just before bed)" and several others words and phrases.  But his all time favorite thing is his doodle bff Mylie (and he certainly know her name)

You will also notice his response to his release word "ok" :)

I consider Gavin to be middle of the road in the intelligence department.  I would love to hear what other doodles know.

Views: 553

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh Gavin…..you are so  cute AND smart!    Mylie must be a very special girl!     Banjo understands many more words than we give him credit for.    There is a dog down the street that we encounter on walks once in a great while, his name is Charlie.  I never imagined Banjo even knew his name, but the other day, in conversation with my DH, I said the name Charlie and Banjo ran right to the window (the one that faces in the right direction no less!) and stood looking out and then back at me…as if to say "Where's Charlie, I don't see him".    He's not one to go ballistic at words either….but I sometimes like to "test" him.    When he's "sleeping" at my feet I will sometimes say random words like RIDE or CHICKEN or JEEP and he bounces right up to his feet.   It's hilarious.

That is amazing about Charlie.  Banjo is a smarty pants!

This is really adorable....Guinness does the "head cocking thing" too when he's really interested in something I'm saying.  Guinness knows all kinds of words like "treat, cookie, car, walk, ride....".  Murph knows "no, sit, down, leave it, go to your bed".  Just kidding....well sort of.

LOL Jane - knowing "no" is by far the most important thing.  As long as Murph has that down, he is plenty smart - in fact smarter than most teenagers I know!

Gavin, you are adorable! 

JD knows lots and lots of words, but I have no idea how many. He also does the head cock when he hears certain words and phrases, mostly those that have to do with going somewhere. 

We all know JD is a wise one - thus his call to the Bar.

Oh Gavin...you are simply adorable! Love the head tilt!
Enzo also does the head tilt...usually at something very interesting or something she doesn't quite understand.
At 6 months, I'm not sure how many words she understands, but she too, has picked up words just from conversation. We noticed the other day, when we were talking about our WATER bill...her ears picked up everytime we said the word. She knows all the command words, along with dog, cat, bunny, bird, pool, Jeep, eat, pee,bone.toy,water...to name a few. She also knows people by name and recognizes sounds of vehicles, as friend or unknown visitor. She goes ballistic when she hears my son's motorcycle, but barks and barks when another friend, whom she never met, came over on his.

Thanks Ro!  Enzo sounds like she knows a lot of words for only 6 months old.  I remember seeing a video one time where the dog (a border collie I think) knew the names of over 20 of her toys and brought the correct one to her owner on command.  Maybe Enzo could learn to do this.

Gavin is adorable!  That head tilt for his bff is just too cute!

Trav amazes me sometimes at the words he picks up.  I had no idea he knew 'antler,' until when I happened to say it, he looked up at the bookcase where I was keeping it.  He also picked up 'vacuum' and several other words I didn't know he was learning.  He knows the usual command and fun words, but it's these other words that surprise me.

LOL..."vacuum"gets Enzo moving too! It's not like we go about announcing when we are going to vacuum, yet she knows that word as well! Such smart Doods we have! ;)

Funny!  Trav loves to bark at the vacuum and dance around it--I've never tried to train him not to do this as it's just so amusing, and he expends a lot of energy while I clean house.  It's a win-win.  :)

LOL. I use to be able to vacuum our older Golden. He actually enjoyed the wand running up and down him. I can still do this to a few of our cats. Enzo hasn't let me get that close with it yet. She just wants to play.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service