DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Sky is 11 months old and CRAZY!

We've only had her for a little over a week and she is obviously HIGH energy. I take her for a walk every day, sometimes twice a day. She gets exercise in the backyard with us.... But she is so, so hyper. She's the kind of dog who would never walk when she could run, never step when she could jump, etc.

She isn't yet spayed, will this calm her down at all? We were shocked that she's still so "puppy" at almost a year old.

The great news is (knock on wood) she didn't have any accidents in the house yesterday!! And while she is still skittish about our laundry room she will go outside without treats now. She's definitely feeling more secure in our house and hopefully is starting to realize that she's part of our family.

Views: 205

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ah, I checked and Sky is an ALD.  From my experience they are the most energetic of all doodles.  My ALD took almost two years to calm down and he is still full of energy.  One walk a day will just not do it for these guys.  My ALD loves a good wrestling match and we got a companion for him that also loves to wrestle.  It is crazy at times.  The newest dog is a rescue and a Jackapoo.  He definitely keeps us on our toes.  My dogs do best after a romp on the beach., but we do all kinds of activities with them.  She might enjoy Doggie Daycare.  Get ready for more exercise yourself and that can be a good thing.  Have you checked out agility classes?  You will find what works for both of you.  But expect a two-year puppyhood for this dog.

My favorite topic...

First, I second everything Lynda suggested. We have had the same experience regarding ALDs. Our ALD Sepp is one year old, was one of the most active puppies in a litter of 12, and is still very much a puppy. Here is what worked and works for us:

1. Daily leashed, controlled walks with a few obedience commands/tasks (teaching him to sit and wait at curbs, calling him back when he started pulling)

2. Lots and lots of off-leash time (fetch, chase in the local park). For a puppy at the age of our dogs, off-leash time is almost more important than the walks on leash.

3. Mental exercise/stimulation (a couple short obedience sessions every day, nose games around the house or yard like hiding toys or treats and having the puppy find and retrieve, food puzzles)

4. Puppy play dates. Do you know any dogs of the same age or energy level as Sky? They can wear each other out playing.

When Sepp is 18 months, we plan to have him run along when we go for runs and bike rides.

Sky probably did not get the physical and mental exercise that she needed and deserved in her former home, so she might have a lot to make up for in the next few weeks also.

Salvador is not an ALD, but is 16 months and FULL OF ENERGY!!!  Like WAY more energy than I have!  lol!  

I try to take him to the dog park every day and play frisbee for a good 30-40 minutes of him almost straight running all the time! None of my friends are really dog people, so there are no dogs to do play dates with, but, I have nieces that love to play with him.  So that happens often.  I've been doing more training with him.  Making him do long sit and stays, even in front of crazy things happening (meaning, my nieces are acting silly and all he wants to do is play, but I won't let him).  We do walks, usually at the park, where there are lots of squirrels (of which I make him do lots of sit and stays until he settles), and lots of people and other dogs that he needs to "leave it".  When all else fails, it's fetch up and down the stairs with tennis balls and laser lights...  He also goes to doggie daycare on average once per week/week 1/2.    Even after this he's still a hyper boy, so I give him bones and things to chew on and put his attention on. 

I know Sky is a rescue but do you know anything of her background?   Some doodles are very high energy and some are not. I don't think it matters what poodle mix they are, but more who their parents were and their parents energy levels etc.   We have a ten year-old Springer Spaniel who has never settled down.  He is extremely high energy, anxious and nervous. We didn't know any better and purchased him from backyard breeders who never thought to pay attention to the parent dog's health, temperament, etc. We have had to adjust to his nervous energy, but he is the sweetest dog ever so that makes up for the drawback.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service