DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Might seem like a strange question, but I've been wondering. I wash Chewie's food bowl once/daily even though he eats twice a day. His water bowl I'm always rinsing out and I put both of them in the dishwasher whenever I run it, but that's only every couple days. Then I started thinking, I wouldn't eat dinner out of the same bowl I ate my breakfast without washing it, but then again, I don't lick it clean...LOL.

Views: 190

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good question Laura, I happen to be a germaphobic so I do wash their food bowls at least once a day if it's just dry food,and a little homecooked foods, but after each meal (2 x a day) when I use yogurt or cottage cheese, or any raw foods. Like today they both got ground chicken necks (raw).
The water bowls we rinse with hot hot water several times a day and spray a bleach spray, and rinse real well, a few times a week to sanitize. We use a seperate sponge for cleaning their bowls. The (4) bowls go into the dishwasher at various times but we use ours at least once a day. I'm with you thinking I wouldn't want to eat out of same bowl, but I just don't think they care or it sure hasn't stopped them from eating, like it might us. haha
i bet you get a lot of various opinions on this, but I don't know of any clear cut answer. Temperatures, types of foods, how long foods sitting out are all factors I'd think.
Once a day for the food bowl is plenty. That's what I do, after dinner when I wash the rest of the dishes.
When you rinse the water bowl, dry it with a towel before you refill it. Why, when you're just going to put more water in it?
Slimy mold may be on the inside of the bowl; you can't see it, but if you dump out a water bowl that hasn't been washed with soap for a while and feel the sides, you may notice they are a little slimy. That's mold. Sometimes, if you wipe it with a paper towel, you'll see a pinkish color on the towel. That's mold. If you don't notice any slimey-ness in the bowl or discoloring on the towel, you're fine. I once saw a poll in another forum about this, and the majority of people never washed their dog's water bowls. They do need to be washed and wiped regularly.
I'm nuts with this because of Jack's allergies, one of which is storage mites from dry food, and one of which is a kind of mold that lives in wet places. But it really doesn't take very long to wash or wipe out a dog bowl, lol.
I totally know what you mean about the slimy water bowls, Karen...just didn't know if was mold. It sure turns "moldy" fast.
You're too funny. I often think about this too. My husband has to keep reminding me that she is a D-O-G! Can't help it... she's still one of my "babies" LOL. I too rinse between fillings of both bowls, but I wash with soap at the end of the night. We use plastic. she wouldn't eat out of the silver. Guess the reflection bothered her... Boy does this dog have "issues" - I'll tell you - I NEVER thought about so much when we had our first dog about 20 years ago! Think in my oldER age I have become a worry-wart! I'll be following this one too!!!
My lab mix had a lot of trouble switching to a metal bowl. He still doesn't like it and I do think it is the reflection or shine -even though it is more "brushed" than shiny.
I pick mine up daily and wash them before I go to bed
You wouldn't eat out of a dirty bowl, but I bet you wouldn't drink out of a toilet or eat dirty diapers either :-) lol

To answer your question, I wash Porter's bowls once a day too.
Jackdoodle doesn't drink from the toilet...but my cat does!!!!
Oh my...ROFLMAO!!!
We wash ours twice a day once after breakfast and then again after dinner.It just makes sense I wouldn't want to eat out of a dirty plate. lol
I wash food bowls twice a day, wash water bowls once and rinse it each time I refill it.
Not very often. Considering the stuff they put in their mouths on a regular basis that is not washed...I think they can handle the germs. But they also only get kibble.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service