DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Doodleback Ride anyone??

This is Bella our 10 week old Goldendoodle on top of our 50lb, 10 month old Aussie Shepards, when should I be concerned about their rough play? So far no yelps but I keep thinking any minute we could have a disaster!

Anyone have a similar circumstance? Do you just let it go and keep your fingers crossed for the best or stop it before anything happens?

Views: 252

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We have three males and the play is rough.  But I remind myself to think about how puppies learn to play with each other and that's pretty rough (factoring in size).  At least for me, when I think it's getting too rough or may turn from play into something else, I distract them with something else.  They will cool down and then go back at it.  Yes, there have been yelps but whomever caused it, immediately backs off and looks surprised that anyone was offended.  I know the barks ours have when they are playing and the barks when they are getting ticked off so I go by that.  I realize that isn't really definitive info but I handle it as I did with the kids.  Let them work on it unless it gets out of hand and then step in.  Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Cyndi, I guess I worry so much because there is such a huge size difference. Thanks for your 2 cents, makes perfect sense to me :-)

That is pretty much the guidance I've gotten as well.  Let them go unless there are yelps.  We have Lucy at 80 lbs and AnnaBelle who just reached 30 lbs this week, so the size difference has been pretty good.  AnnaBelle can hold her own though.  One of my biggest problems is we have wood floors so they are slippery.  I'm more concerned someone is going to get hurt slipping on the floor because it is hard to keep their footing.  I also pretty much know the barks and sounds and can gage when I need to cut it off.  If AnnaBelle yelps, she always just jumps up and comes back for more.  But I still stop it with a yelp for everyone to calm down a little.    I had the same problem with my litermate sisters 5 years ago.  They were the same size and played so hard I was afraid they were going to hurt each other, but they never did.

It's funny how often this question comes up!  We added our puppy to my "pack" which included a 55 and 65 pound doodle.  The pup had absolutely no hesitation when it came to play and attacking her brothers.  There were only a couple of times when I rescued her because she provoked them to the point where they ganged up on her and she was getting overwhelmed.

I love your "doodlepack" picture!  Bella will grow quickly and this will be a non-issue.  Enjoy her puppy days!

Deb

I have never had two dogs, so I was worried about this as well. Monty was already at 90 lbs when we added 8 week old Auggie. It was like David and Goliath. The tiny Auggie kept jumping all over Monty and the giant let him. I was worried somebody is going to get hurt. Now Auggie is 75 lbs and still pestering his older brother. Most of the time it's my big Monty that runs to momma for covers. That's when I step in. They do play rough at times, but I figured if nobody is crying, it's all good. What's interesting to me is the fact that Auggie can be so very naughty to his older brother, and yet, he plays sooo nicely with other dogs when we are at a dog park.

There's a 35 lb difference between my mini (Guinness) and standard (Murph).  They do get rough from time to time, but I stop it when I think that Murph is getting carried away or definitely if I hear a yelp.  My little guy has learned to go and hide under the bed or a chair if he's had enough of his "brother".

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service