DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Harper is the first goldendoodle I have ever owned. I grew up having labs, newfoundlands and shephards but nipping wasn't ever a major issue. This is a whole different ball park for me because nothing seems to be working. She's obviously teething and she will gnaw on her toys but she rather be biting my hands, fingers, toes, and legs. She even goes after ears, noses, chins... when she goes to bite Ill say uhuhh in a growling voice. Shell stop for a second and then shes right back to it. Ive tried replacing me with a toy but she doesnt care. I need advice on things that have worked for other people with this issue. I get shes a puppy right now but I really want to "nip" this issue in the butt before she goes after a little kid! I know itll take time but I could really use some help! 

Views: 255

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to Doodle Kisses, Lori Ann!  I see you have joined the Puppy Madness Group so if you post this same question in that group I am sure you will get lots of advice from new puppy owners.  There have been several discussions about nipping lately.  Harper is adorable and we look forward to seeing pictures of her as she grows!

so I got my goldendoodle at 7 weeks...it was a nightmare with the nipping,... ripped clothes...and arms and legs and feet... I had to tell my co workers no im not cutting my wrists.. I got a puppy lol.. we tried everything .. from yelping to shaking pennies in a coke can when he nips.. to spraying water in his face.. finally we got a spray from the pet store called bitter apple spray... its meant to spray on furniture and things they may chew.. I sprayed it on my limbs lol and it got to the point where I sprayed it directly in his mouth when he would bite and said NO BITE!! then it got to the point that all I had to do was show him the spray bottle and he would run away... u can look at my previous posts I mean he was a baadddddd puppy lol...but now hes a 1 year and half and hes my sweetie pie! good luck!

I would be against spraying anything into the pups mouth.  I think giving the pup a competing behaviour and redirecting is always better than aversion.  I know its hard to outlast them, but being consistent will eventually pay off.  And it does sound like Lori Ann is on the right track already.

I have no intention on spraying her in the mouth but I do plan on spraying it on myself to help with the nipping. Hopefully she doesnt like the taste

I honestly bought bitter apple over the weekend and was considering doing the same thing as far as spraying it on myself. Ive very happy you responded to my post. Ill definitely try that out! thankyou for your advice

Have faith, she will grow out of it.  In the meantime, get a cotton white tube sock, tie it in a couple of knots and dampen with water, then put it in the freezer.  This makes a good chew toy and soothes the teething issues.  Before I did anything with my pup I stuck the sock in his mouth (including petting, brushing).  He used to go after my husband more than me (he was the fun one).  When he got too wound up we would put in in his crate for a brief time out.  He was the most out of control in the evening (the witching hour) or when he was very tired.  Just like a kid.  Once he was forced into some quiet time, he usually went to sleep.  Good luck.

We are having this issue with Bob right now. It is slowly getting better - he is 17 weeks old now. He is definitely more into biting me than my husband. Our trainer suggested the bitter apple spray in the mouth, but I've heard that it can do more harm than good, so I haven't gone that far. I was worried it was aggression, because he'd show his teeth and growl/bark, but I realized that he was only doing this when he thought he was playing. I was watching him with other dogs, and that's how he was playing. 

All I can say is that it sounds like you are doing the right things. I know how frustrating it can be! Bob ripped shirt number 5 yesterday! She'll eventually grow out of it.

Yea she isnt growling but I think not having other dogs around is an issue. I know its not aggression, I was just hoping for other things to try other than bitter apple. Other than the nipping shes been a great puppy! 

Okay, this trick worked like a charm for us with jace. I promise you he was awful, I had scratches teeth marks and he drew blood multiple times. What we did was we put peanut butter on the areas he bit us most, for me it was my arms and hands but for my husband it was his ears (gross I know but we were completely desperate and when he licked it off we praised and said "give kisses".) a few days of that training and to this day we can say "give kisses" and he'll lick our hand.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service