DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I just got a mini golden doodle from a breeder and she said my puppy would be 25-35lbs at maturity. Her mom is a golden retriever that weighs 75lbs and her dad is a mini poodle that weighs 18lbs. Nora (my puppy) is 8 weeks old and weighs 7.4lbs and I'm just trying to figure out if she really will be in that weight range. From what I've found online a good way to figure it out is to add both the parents weight together and divide by 2 but that would put her at about 46lbs. The breeder has been doing this for a long time so I trust her but this was that particular dogs first litter so there's no reference. The reason I'm so concerned is that my apartment has a 35lb weight limit on dogs. Any info on how much your doodle weighed at this age and their adult weight would be greatly apreciated! :) we love our little doodle so much and she is the best thing that ever happened to me. I included a picture of the mom, the dad, and our puppy. Any insight would be grest!

Views: 1482

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My breeder told us that Banjo would "top out" at about 35lbs.     His parents weights were the same as your pup's parents.   Banjo "topped out" at 52lbs.     I don't think it's possible to predict the final weight of "minis".     

How long did it take Banjo to reach full size? About a year? Also do you happen to remember how much he weighed when you took him home?

He is 6 now.....and I'm afraid I really can't recall when he reached his full weight.    i'm thinking it was around 9 months.    I don't remember how much he weighed when he came to us at 10 weeks.        We've rented many vacation rentals with "weight limits" and no one has ever questioned us on his weight.     I think many places state that restriction so that it gives them an added "out" if things turn sour with a dog that perhaps has behavior issues.       Good luck with your new baby!!!!   She is a cutie!

Thank you so much! :) I really think we'll be ok! Appreciate it your help!

My brother got a mini. The breeder told him it would be under 25 lbs. It is now about 45. What happens if your pup gets larger than 35lbs?

You are probably feeding him well.

I brought my mini home at 10 weeks and she weighed 4lbs. She topped out at 15. Her parents were a 30lb goldendoodle mother and an 11lb poodle dad. We were were told between 20-25lbs. She was the smallest in her litter. Annabelle is an F1b, so she is 75% poodle.

The formula about adding the parents' weights and then dividing by 2 makes no sense genetically speaking. How many people do you know whose height and weight is exactly halfway between their parents', lol? Adult size isn't halfway between the parents'. Keep in mind that bigger is almost always dominant over smaller. As the others have said, there is no way to be sure, especially with an F1 "mini". With the F1Bs and multigens, where the parents are closer in size, it's easier to hazard a guess.But with a 75 lb mother, I'd bet good money that she's going to be well over 35 lbs at maturity. 

Nothing will happen if she's over we can always stay with my parents and find a new apartment. We're only in this apartment for 12 months so she will just be reaching her full size by the time we more out anyway and I doubt they're going to stop by and weigh her ever lol. The breeder swore she would be under 35 but oh well. Thanks for the feedback!

My first thought was are there "Dog Police" at your apartment building that are going to come weigh her? The visual difference between 35-40-45 pounds is probably not even noticeable to most people. I would bet if she is not a barker, you pick up after her and she just socializes with everyone like all doodles love to do, that it won't even be mentioned.  BTW, I think all "guesstimates" of adult weight go out the window with Mini's. But a 75# mother gives you lots of margin for error with your breeders guess. You will just have more to love! 

Thanks for your nice comment! :) we're already in puppy kindergarten and we're planning on going through all the training to have her be a therapy dog so I really think we'll be fine:) she's already the sweetest girl I've ever met!

Sue makes some very good points here.  These are my girls ... to me they look pretty close to the same size.  However, Lucy (Black)  is actually 20 pounds heavier than Annabelle.   Annabelle is just a little taller than Lucy but much smaller boned. Additionally I used to have Sophie who was Lucy liter mate Sister.  She was 25 pounds lighter than Lucy so I really don't think the size on the parents play into it that much.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service