DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi everyone

I am having quite a time with my puppy (7 months) scratching at our front and back doors to get in.  He's scratched the paint off of the front door, and he put holes in the screen on our back door.  Just ignoring him seems to make it worse.  Other than a physical barrier, does anyone have any tricks to stop this unwanted behaviour?

Thanks.

Views: 1263

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would definitely teach him to use a bell. They learn this so easily.... just don't hang it ON the door or as he goes to ring it- that may scratch your door.... good luck!
Hi
Yes a bell seems the best answer. I am starting a training class tonight so maybe I'll ask the trainer what she thinks as well. Thanks for all your help.
As an update, I spoke to the trainer and her suggestion was to always have him on a leash when he comes to the door. That's going to be hard because the two dogs go out to play in our fenced yard all the time off leash. I think I might try opening the door, blocking him from entering, making him sit, treating him, then letting him in. That way I am hoping he will start coming to the door and sitting instead of scratching. What do you think? worth a try?
Can you leave the door open for them while they are playing? We often just leave it open on nice days. I think sitting before entering is helpful to reduce that door rushing but how will him sitting tell you he wants back in? Is it because your other dog will bark for him?
How will you know your dog is at the door? If your dog is not patient - how long is he going to sit and wait for you?

Would you like suggestions on training to use a bell?
Hi
well no he isn't patient at all. But I thought that he might sit and wait if he thought he'd get a treat. I don't know, it was just an idea. Our back door is glass so we'll see him sitting there, The front door is steel with a glass insert so it will be harder to see him. I'm still debating about the bell. Have many people had success with a bell>
Janettte - it is SOOOO easy to train your dog to use a bell. These dogs are so smart as it is, and learning this - which is done by MANY - is easier than the multi step approach you just mentioned. Every time I took Tori out I would ring the bell, and bring her out... you can do the same for coming in... it will probably only take a few times. I then would actually either gently walk her into it as it hung so it would ring, or lift her paw so she would ring it. She now uses her nose to hit the bells and we know she needs to go out. I think this is MUCH easier than having to learn 3 commands - come to door sit and wait/stay. But in the long run, it has to be what works best for you... good luck!
Thanks for the endorsement of the bell method. Not sure if I would want hanging bells though, unless they hung beside the door on the brick. Otherwise he would likely keep scratching the door to hit the bell. The video showed a bell on the porch that the dog stepped on. Any idea where to get those?
Google: "Lentek Pet Chime" ( review here )
Get the DOGGIE DOOR BELLS!! Saves the scratches and saves on accidents. Well worth it or make your own.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service