DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Let me start by saying I HATE cutting Hunter's nails.  I am always afraid I am going to cut them to short so normally I leave them longer.  This morning I was cutting one of her back nails and just when I went to cut she moved - normally she sits totally still - and I cut it to short and it started to bleed.  I have never cut them to short before to see them bleed!  This was early this morning, I put this Quick Blood Stopped on it and it seemed ok.  Now she just came in from outside and its bleeding again :-(  Is this normal?  It seems like a lot of bleeding!  I feel sooooooooo bad.  It doesn't seem to be bothering her at all - just me!  Any advise? 

Views: 140

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Someone just told me last week that you can use flour if you don"t have quick stop. Its a good thing to remember in case you don't have anything else. Don't feel bad and enjoy your wine.:-)
Flour or corn starch.
This happens, or there wouldn't be ways to fix it!!! I did this to my previous dog, Bailey, and I was so upset (way, way more upset than she was). I did stop cutting dog's nails though!
I don't think I will be able to do it again - this was just way to traumatic for ME!  Hunter never flinched - nice.  LOL

I've done that a couple of times before, and it just feels awful.  You need to have the Stytic on hand to stop the bleeding.  I've actually bandaided up my dogs claw before...LOL!!!  Just until it stopped bleeding.  What I learned is that if I go a little at a time I'm better, but you never know when they might flinch.  Don't be too hard on yourself <3

Beckett has black nails and this happened to me about a year ago. I didn't have any Quik Stop in the house. I tried using flour but it didn't work (maybe didn't give it enough time?)   It also bled when I took him out. I was a wreck! I finally put a sock on his paw and taped it:) That worked in awhile, I was soooooo upset. I've never been able to cut them since...too  nervous that I'd do it again. The groomer does it now...or the vet if it's time to take him :)

Don't feel bad, your a great doodle Mom!! Hudson is my first dog, and I have clipped his a few times with no problem-he has clear nails. I was never nervous doing it but I think I will get some quick stop in case we have an inccident like this! I don't do well when my kids bleed so I'm sure I would be a wreck!! LOL

ps.. if there is a wine drinkers club, count me in!! :)

When I cut a nail too short one time, I called the vet because it kept bleeding . They told me to put some corn starch in a shallow bowl and hold his foot/nail in it to stop the bleeding. Worked like a charm. :-)
I have used baking soda in the past, it works well.
The breeder told us to keep styptic powder at hand in case we cut the nail too short. She also mentioned that it is quite difficult to cuts dark nails. Since Ollie's nails are as dark as they can be,I've only had them cut at the vet's.
Denise, any more bleeding?
I just did the same thing to Sophie last night.  I felt terrible too.  Her nail bled and bled.  I have trimmed her nails dozens of times, I don't know what happened.  I put pressure on it and patted a little flour into the area and eventually it quit.  But it did start again after she went outside.  So we retreated it and put a baby sock on her foot.  It really was awful.  I'm sure I was way more upset than she was.  Thanks for listening!!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service