DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Let me start by saying I HATE cutting Hunter's nails.  I am always afraid I am going to cut them to short so normally I leave them longer.  This morning I was cutting one of her back nails and just when I went to cut she moved - normally she sits totally still - and I cut it to short and it started to bleed.  I have never cut them to short before to see them bleed!  This was early this morning, I put this Quick Blood Stopped on it and it seemed ok.  Now she just came in from outside and its bleeding again :-(  Is this normal?  It seems like a lot of bleeding!  I feel sooooooooo bad.  It doesn't seem to be bothering her at all - just me!  Any advise? 

Views: 140

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The flour or cornstarch works well and you might have to re-treat. I also use a sock with some cotton balls in it to keep the pressure on the nail.  Gee, do you think I may have done this a time or two. What's worse is doing it on Bella as she is white and all the blood on her white fur looked like I amputated half her paw off!  Murphy is apricot and it sort of blended better.

I felt bad the first time, but it happens and since mine don't even flinch I figure it can't feel too bad to them. I wouldn't be shy about clipping her nails. You learned a good lesson in how to hold onto that paw so she can;t move. I bet tons of groomers learned to do it well by cutting a few too close too.

Oh yeah, and some wine and it really won't bother you much at all anymore.  But it may take 2-3 glasses to really get over it!
YES! She has definitely improved :-)  It bleed one more time after the second time yesterday (when I freaked out!) and nothing since then.  Trust me I think I could tell you every single hair on her foot now!  LOL
Give that paw a kiss for me!
AAwww I did Karen :-)
Denise:  I did the same thing to Gavin this week.  It took a long time to stop bleeding and I kept him lying on his side.  Once it stopped it kept re-starting every time he stood up.  He went to sleep at night, but I woke up in the AM to hear him licking and he opened it up again.  Anyway this went on for the whole day, every time he went outside.  I was beside myself.  DH brought home some of the styptic powder and I finally got it stopped for good.  Like Hunter, Gavin didn't say a word.  In fact he didn't even seem to notice.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service