DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I'm a little embarassed to post this but I'm feeling very naive.  I had NO idea how much is involved in grooming a doodle.  Not that it's a problem per say but my 1st grooming experience with a groomer was a bit of a disaster and my doodle was mad at me for 2 full days.  I cried A LOT those 2 days!  So I am very apprehensive to dive back in.  And the idea of using scissors myself...yikes!  So here are my questions and if anyone could share their wisdom...I would be very appreciative.  I'm new to this community and I have never seen such a caring and supportive bunch, so thanks in advance for your insight.

Matting - when does this start to happen?  My doodle will be 4 months this Sat.  Does it happen to all doodles?  Do you have to shave them to avoid the problem? ...I so love a shaggy doodle.

Bathing - How often are you supossed to do this I've heard everything from 4-6 weeks but to be careful cuz their skin gets dry..What do you recommend?  what shampoo do you use?

Cleaning the eyes - is there a product or process that makes this easier?  The eye gunk is very hard to remove.

I have no idea what kind of coat my doodle has wool or fleece??? Can someone explain the difference?  I just know he is shaggy and has a wavy very soft coat.  And this changes right?  When does that happen?  I hear about all kinds of tools and have NO IDEA what to buy.  All I have is a pin brush which my doodlw would rather eat then have me use it...ugh!

Thanks again everyone!  This group is amazing!

Views: 410

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My Cash has been a breeze to brush and groom until about a month ago.  Now we are matted DAILY and I can not keep up.  I think it's becuase he just turned 9 months and I guess it's his adult coat that is causing the problems.  I am going to have to cut or shave him down but I DONT WANT TO.  Just not sure what else to do until the coat comes in all the way. Trying to find someone that can groom him and not poodle my doodle as most places so far like to do. =( I will have to try the eye booger - YUCK at the thought of letting him lick it off.  Right now I just pick it off and put in a kleenex. LOL

MJ, That's exactly my fear of having someone poodle my doodle!!  You know I've read bits of posts about undercoats (grooming group) and using a brush to pull it out???  I have no idea what this is or what it mean but there maybe someone like Adina or Barb that can give you advice on that, especially if you don't want to have to shave him...Cash is a very cool name btw.  And he's adorable to boot! Thanks for chiming in and I hope you find some matting relief soon!  Let me know how it goes and what you found that worked for you.

Good luck with the eye boogers too!  LOL!

Have you tried using a Furminator on Cash? First I would brush him out with a pin brush then try using the Furminator.

Caveat: I did shave down my dood at about 8 months old, not because he was matting but because he had 2 surgeries on his left hind leg. So he was shaved there and on his front right one for the IV and bloodwork. I shaved him because he looked like a rung out rug.

Quincy is now 2 1/2 yrs and I still can't brush him unless he is on a table, all he tries to do is eat the brush. If you have a Costco near you, you can get a fold up table with telescopic legs, this is what I have and it works like a charm. 

Thank you Donna!  I do have a Costco by me.  I will check it out.  Do you have something that holds his head straight or from not biting/moving?

Jayd -- I think you can probably buy the grooming arm and the loop on line and I'm not positive but you could probably use it on one of those tables Donna mentions.  Before I got my grooming table I used my arm on the kitchen counter.
Thank you!  Gosh so may people here do their own grooming.  I just don't know if I have the where with all to do it myself.  But you never know...I guess it will depend on how badly he mats...
I just rigged up a line with a hook and leash, I didn't really need it and don't use it anymore, once he is on the table he is totally cooperative. He will even go and get on the table without being asked when he sees the cheese come out, that is his grooming treat and he will pretty much do anything for cheese.
It always comes down to the cheese....
For those that are cutting their own doodles, or thinking about it, you may want to check out the Flo bee.  Not sure of spelling, but they used to sell it years ago for people, and now some groomers use it.   It sucks the hair up toward a vacuum type thing and cuts it at the same time.  It's pretty cool, and something I would consider if doing my own.
I think the Flo Bee has been mentioned before and the fact that the suction was so strong it actually sucked the skin in along with the hair, Ouch!
Don't think I could get past the Saturday night live skit where the guys hair piece gets chewed up in the flo bee...

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service