DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I'm a little embarassed to post this but I'm feeling very naive.  I had NO idea how much is involved in grooming a doodle.  Not that it's a problem per say but my 1st grooming experience with a groomer was a bit of a disaster and my doodle was mad at me for 2 full days.  I cried A LOT those 2 days!  So I am very apprehensive to dive back in.  And the idea of using scissors myself...yikes!  So here are my questions and if anyone could share their wisdom...I would be very appreciative.  I'm new to this community and I have never seen such a caring and supportive bunch, so thanks in advance for your insight.

Matting - when does this start to happen?  My doodle will be 4 months this Sat.  Does it happen to all doodles?  Do you have to shave them to avoid the problem? ...I so love a shaggy doodle.

Bathing - How often are you supossed to do this I've heard everything from 4-6 weeks but to be careful cuz their skin gets dry..What do you recommend?  what shampoo do you use?

Cleaning the eyes - is there a product or process that makes this easier?  The eye gunk is very hard to remove.

I have no idea what kind of coat my doodle has wool or fleece??? Can someone explain the difference?  I just know he is shaggy and has a wavy very soft coat.  And this changes right?  When does that happen?  I hear about all kinds of tools and have NO IDEA what to buy.  All I have is a pin brush which my doodlw would rather eat then have me use it...ugh!

Thanks again everyone!  This group is amazing!

Views: 410

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tell your gag reflex that YOU are not the one eating the eye gunk ;)  Teehee :)
LMAO!
Has anyone mentioned anal glands yet?     :>)
OMG you are too funny!  Please tell me I don't have to worry about those too!
Okay, guys... eating eye gunk is as bad as a kid eating his boogers!  LOL  One reason that I would NEVER groom Tori myself, besides not trusting myself with the scissor, would be the ANAL EXPRESSION!  NOW we're talking GROSS.... Only here can we be so blunt and open about "expressing" our concerns!  LOL (now I'm going to go THROW UP!)
Shelly, unless your dog is showing signs or has a problem, don't have her glands expressed!  They can become reliant on having it done.  Most dogs with solid poop will clean themselves naturally.  The body takes care of it. :o)
eeeeeeeeewwwww!
Myla is an eye booger machine and I never thought of that! DH would probably freak and I don't know if I can do it but thanks for the idea.
Eye booger machine!!! Now that's funny!
I bathe my doodles about twice a year or whenever they need it. Luca recently rolled in something and smelled awful to me so he needed a serious washing. They love the eye gunk, I assume it tastes salty. Both of mine still matt but not as much as they used to. I never have shaved them. I try , but not for too long to tease out mats, slice them vertically and in the end cut off what's left of the mat.
Twice a year?  Oh my, I can't stand to have my dogs in my lap after 2 weeks because they stink.  I bathe mine every two to three weeks depending on my schedule. 
Yep! Anything longer than 2 weeks and Echo smells really nasty too! Almost fishy.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service