DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

We started a new training session with Chewie last night and the trainer had mentioned trying a martingale collar to help with his pulling on the leash for walks. In researching this it sounds like it is more for keeping your dog from getting out of their collar. Does anyone use one?

Views: 177

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is kinda like a choke collar but made with nylon .when the dog pulls you it tightens . I started with the martingale but soon changed to a pinch collar. There are dull prongs that don't hurt all the way around the collar that hit pressure points on the neck when they pull. I personally never liked these collars but now that I used one I know that it doesnt hurt them. It also was recommended by a trainer.
We just started training class and our trainer HATES halter style collars and believes they should never be used. She explained that when you pull on it, it brings the head down and back and pulls it up toward the neck with an incredible amount of force. This type of force may be necessary for a 120lb person to control a 1000 pound horse who has a strong neck but it very dangerous for a dog - particulary a soft breed and most particularly a puppy. Her demonstration was enough to put me off. She said with an extreme puller, the pronged collar was the most humane, because it takes just a small amount of force. The mere touch of it reminds the dog to pay attention. She cautioned that it must fit perfectly so you should get someone who knows what they are doing to fit it. She also advised to get one that you can take apart and turn the prongs outward to gradually wean them off the collar once the training is complete. She also emphasized to never leave a training collar on a dog who is not leashed.
I think all training devices are only good if used correctly. A head halter, like any other training coller, can be used for corrections, but won't work if the dog is just pulling and pulling. They are designed for subtle corrections. We use a Halti on one of our dogs with really good success, in combination with continuing his training. I think all these devices are only tools that should complement training, any kind of collar/ harness on its own will not be effective.
The improper use of collars.

Neither the Martingale collar nor the chain type collar is a good tool if used in the wrong manner. Pulling on either of these type collars will not benefit training, but will only choke the dog. These collars are designed for a quick snap and then a release.

I would not use either type collar on a young puppy.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service