DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hello All! I am really hoping someone has a suggestion for me. We have an invisible fence for Hunter that we started using about 6 weeks ago. It is the Innotek Contain & Train, I did a ton of research and because my husband is very mechicanically inclined he could install it himself. We went through the training and everything was perfect, Hunter stayed in the fence didn't try to leave etc. etc UNTIL last week. Now all of a sudden when the nextdoor neighbor brings his dog out to walk she runs through the fence, well not really "runs" - she is actually STOPPING while she gets shocked (you can see her twitching!!) and then as soon as it stops after 8 seconds I think THEN she runs over there. Now up until then she would see them out and she would just lay there and watch them and not try to run.

I have made sure her collar is on properly, the battery is charged, the fence is working properly (according to the tester thing). I put the longer prongs on the collar since she is furry and did cut her fur on her neck so the connection was correct...... STILL didn't work. Finally I turned the fence on HIGH - and STILL the same thing!!

Now my father-in-law has a Brittney Spaniel who has the same fence, he brought her over to make sure its actually doing what its supposed to and she yelped like she was being murdered! I felt terrible because her "field" is longer and when she hears the beep she has more room before the "shock" than I had set up on Hunters. OOpps poor Brittsey! Does anyone have any suggestions?

HELP I am just at my wits end!!

Views: 1043

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

These might be the suggestions your not looking for...but did you contact the maker of the fence, they should offer proper training and follow up training if needed, or install a chain link fence. Does Hunter have any obedience training? I never liked E fence's and have seen to many dogs go through them, or are so affarid of them they won't go in their yard.
I have never seen a dog not go into their own yard. I bet we have 25 - 35 electric fences in our neighborhood and they all work. We have no loose dogs, no dogs being hurt and so-on and so-forth.
I think all dogs are different. Some are more upset by the shock than others. It may be that Hunter has decided that 8 seconds of pain is worth getting to see the other dog. I would contact the manufacturers to see if they have other suggestions. You may need to try a different type of invisible fence or install a physical fence. Good luck!
I am going to call the manufacturer and see what suggestions they have. I am thinking I might take her to my father-in-laws and see what reaction she has to his fence - maybe there is something wrong with mine. When I was first training her and she went into it twice she yelped and jumped way back, I don't understand what the change would be. Unless she does think the other dog is worth it and then I think I am probably fighting a loosing battle.
We had similar problems with our Casey with our first invisible fence. I don't remember the manufacturer (we bought it at Cabela's) but we installed it and it worked OK initially. However, the fence was adjustable for only one setting and we have three dogs. By the time we got it high enough to get Casey's attention (who at that point was a VERY energetic 18-month old goldendoodle) it would be way too strong for our 20-pound Rat Terrier.

After Casey got out of the yard repeatedly (he would just make a dash for it) we decided to upgrade to a more expensive fence. We chose Pet Stop and while it was more costly, it's a much better product. The fence is also digital, so each dog's collar can be set to a strength that's appropriate. Casey's is set much higher than the other two dogs.

This fence works well enough that the local wildlife have figured out where the fence is....and sit just on the other side, content as can be. Meanwhile, our three are longingly looking at the rabbits/cats/deer, wishing they could go play.....

I hate to say it, but you may have to spring for the more expensive invisible fence. In my opinion, they're worth every cent.
My two cents is that if the neighbor's dog is that fun, you might want a physical fence so that you can invite the dog over to play.

Good luck though--I know of many people for whom the invisible fence works fine.
I don't use an "invisible fence" but use a training collar from Innotek. I have found that their customer service is very helpful and knowledgeable.
I have the PetSafe Containment system for Lucy and I love it. I know nothing about the Innotek system. I think that you should contact the Co. for advice. The PetSafe system runs around $300, comes with one collar and the control box, not wires. It is portable, which I like, and you can have multiple dogs inside the boundry with their individual collars set at different levels. Is that how this works? If the Innotek Co. feels there is nothing wrong with it, then, 1 try a different system, or 2 you may have to get a physical fence for Hunter. Good luck, keep us posted. I am curious as to what you find out.
Thank you all soooo much for the advice! I came up with an idea last night after reading all of these. My father-in-law has the exact same fence so I had him bring his collar over. I noticed when I was using the tester on our collar that the red light was kind of flickery (is that a word?!) and not a flashing red light when it was supposed to be. I put his collar on Hunter and she went to the line to go to the neighbor's yard and she YELPED and jumped way back! I felt really bad for her for getting shocked but at the same time glad that I have the problem figured out. I called the company and they are going to replace the collar since it is still under warranty.

What I call my 'invisible fence" is the Innotek Contain & Train 5100. I did do a lot of research and it was comparable to the actual Invisible Fence brand but a little bit less. It also has a remote control for training that works with the collar and these things that look like smoke detectors that you can use in the house to keep them out of certain areas. Its funny because even without her collar on she will not go down the hallway to the bedrooms. Innotek's customer service was extremely helpful and I had no problems at all with the warranty, a pleasant surprise since usually that kind of stuff ends up being a pain! Now I am anxiously awaiting her new collar!!!
I guess I should of read more before replying to this. I'm so glad you figured it out because this system is really great and so much cheaper than having the "pros" come out and put one in - plus then you don't get all the other things. The "smoke detectors" work so great. You know I read all the forums about people with counter surfing dogs and garbage pickers and all that. I used to suggest the "zones" but DK people get all bent out of shape about that. All I know is it works, it works fast, and it does not hurt the dog. I have zapped myself and it wouldn't keep me from a cookie but it does keep them from it. The remote control training collar works wonderful to teach "heal" when out on a walk. I never use the zap at all anymore - used it only a couple of times. All i ever have to do is "beep" them and they listen unbelievably. After a few times of a word with that beep and they listen to just the word. I'm on your side and am happy to see a few other people are too.
You know what just dawned on me, I have used the remote a few times but thought it didn't really do much to correct her - now it all makes sense because the collar wasn't working properly!! Once I have my collar that works I bet I find the remote DOES work! LOL She never does try to go down the hall to the bedrooms with the zone thing :-) I am glad to hear how well yours works, I was happy with it until the neighbor dog problem and I bet after I have my new one it will be perfect! Thanks!!
I know invisible fencing is a big bone of contention (pun intended) here on DK, but we have had nothing but wonderful success with ours. We live in the country, with a bounty of wildlife (deer, rabbits, possums, skunks, lots of squirrels) and roaming cats and dogs -- but Clancy has never run through the fence to pursue any of them. He definitely knows his boundaries and stays in them. We "fenced" in a large area when we installed it and he has about 3/4 of an acre where he can roam. I would recommend it to anyone who asked me my opinion. We have ours set on the same frequency as our daughter and when Clancy visits them (or their golden, Spencer, visits us) they are both safe within their boundaries. She lives in a subdivision where there is plenty of traffic on their street and Clancy does not cross over there either. Maybe I just have a super intelligent dood??? (or one who has felt the shock and says, enough of that?)

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service