DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Is anyone using Nexgard, oral flea and tick preventative? Opinions anyone?

Our Vet recommended Nexgard for fleas. It's made by the makers of Front.ine, but is a beef flavored pill. Same coverage for fleas and ticks, for 30 days. Wanting to try as the topical presents a problem in the summer with dogs swimming several times a day. Anyone have and insight into this new product?

Views: 15758

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sophie is on Nextgard and Sentinel.  Our vet says that this is what he gives his dogs and it has been much easier for us than using Frontline.  We are just entering tick season, so we really won't know until after October if it has been as effective.  Nonetheless, it is much, much easier and I always am confident that she has the medicine.  With Frontline, sometimes, I found myself questioning if all of medication came out and if it actually went onto the dog's skin (rather than her hair).  If this works, I am a very big fan (cost aside - but maybe the success of Nextgard will bring on competition and other vendors).

How much do you pay for Nexgard? I am going to talk this over with Annabelle's vet in the next couple of weeks. She is already on Sentinel Spectrum and thinks they are a nice treat. She just gobbles it up and I know she has taken in the whole thing. With the Frontline who knows between her long hair and being so wiggly. Living out here in the country among the wildlife, I want the peace of mind of knowing she is fully protected.

Amy, I bought the Nexgard at my Vets and it was over $130 with one or two free pills, If I remember correctly. Even online Nexgard is $125.oo for my size dogs and for 6 month supply. And those prices vary depending on where you look. I've seen up to $150.00 for 6 months worth.

The topical is $63.00 online at Chewy, up to $75.00-$80.00 on different sites. At my vet it is $84.00 for 6 months.   At $125.00 for 3 doses per dog, thats $500 a year just for Nexguard or $252 for Frontline per year.  

Then there's Hearguard on top of that expense. My Vet and I just discussed Sentinel and she does not think Sentinel works well enough for both, and it doesnt cover ticks, so I need two different meds. It would be an option if we didn't have a cabin in the woods with deer and wild life all around and go there throughout the whole year. 

Thanks Sue. She would be on both. Either Sentinel and Frontline which is what she is on now, or Sentinel and Nexgard which is what I was thinking about. Sounds like the Nexgard is out of my price range though. Might be different if we hadn't retired young and still had jobs. But I agree Sentinel doesn't work well enough by itself. I have deer in my yard all year long. So she really needs the added protection.

I hear ya, we just both retired last year and I am still looking at cutting costs everywhere I can. Funny how when you work, a little extra here and there doesnt seem so important.

My Vet also recommended this too because I wasn't too happy using the topical.  Had trouble parting the fur to get to the skin.  Asta's firs dose will be in May.  If I notice any side affects, I'll post.

Thanks Rhoda. As more people use this new medication, we can hopefully let everyone know how its working and share their experiences. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service