DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I'm on waiting list for a miniature goldendoodle puppy due in July and i am suddenly worried about my choice of breeder. At first i though a professional breeder would be best (and certainly the easiest to find when i began my search online) but now i wonder "Is there such a thing as being too professional?" Does this make them a "puppy farm"? Should i be looking for puppies that are treated like family? He/she will be my very first pet so this question may be a mix of ignorance and last minute nerves.

Any straight talking advice would be appreciated.

Views: 966

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Luna was raised in a "kennel" type environment and so she was quite fearful of a lot of household things when we brought her home.  When we get another dog if we get one from a breeder, #1 priority will be health testing and #2 priority will be raised in a home environment.  We won't be buying from a breeder again that doesn't consider the puppies as family pets, even if they are just there temporarily!

Luna is fine now, but I think it would have smoothed her transition to our home and started a lot of the training early.  Thankfully she was a quick learner so she caught up quickly.

I agree that they can catch up and certainly do most of the time--lots of people have gotten doodles from kennels and they do eventually end up fine, but as you said, the job is easier if they are home-raised properly.

I looked at your page, Catherine, and was able to see from one of your posts the name of the kennel you are considering--I went to the website and was impressed by the information--very thorough and good health testing, etc.

BUT, they raise so many different poodle crosses (spoodles, yorkiepoos, cavapoos, etc etc) and it looks like they have 5 or 6 different types of litters there now--that is a LOT--and they say that there is a human OR A KENNEL MATE with the dogs and pups all the time so they are well socialized--Well, a Kennel mate is another pup or dog--not the same as a human and not what i would call socialization. No mention of the pups ever being in a house....so, I do see some red flags--the ideal would be a small operation that takes the time and spends the money to health test the breeding dogs thoroughly, but still home raises the puppies--not easy to find, but worth it.

Thank you so much!

I agree completely. This is like a big dog production company if not a mill.

To me, early socialization is so important - not insurmountable if they don't get it, but extremely  high on my preferences. Next to health testing, it is the most important thing to me. I want my pup 'home raised.'  I want him in a real house with people around for a great majority of the time.  I want him to be spoken to and held. I want him to hear the normal noises of a household - appliances running, people calling to each other from on room to another - and see humans move from one activity to another.   I don't care if they are confined in a playpen or in a room off the kitchen. I don't care if they sleep in a kennel at night.  I just don't want them confined to one during the day.  This is only my preference, you may have your priorities listed differently and that is okay. 

It isn't that a breeder might not have an interest in more than one breed of dog, but I would be leery of one that appears to breed many.  I want my breeder to 'specialize' in knowledge of MY chosen breed of dog.

thanks for the straight talking. Since i'm new to this i wasn't sure if i was over reacting. Many many thanks.

I was just looking at the breeder's website, wow. I certainly know what you mean by "too professional". They even insure the puppies with PetPlan, wow!  Is there a way you can ask the breeder for references? I know they have testimonials on their website, but perhaps it would be nice to chat with some of the people over the phone.  Have you discussed your concerns with the breeder? If they claim they do take the best care of the pups and are willing to answer any questions, I don't think it's unreasonable to discuss your concerns with them.

Yes, it was hard to describe. Everything looks so precise and perfect but sort of too much. I've gone from being really impressed to being worried.

I called them today to ask them about socialization but i wasn't very determined in my inquiry (not like me at all, but i guess i'm rather intimidated by the breeder world). The answer given by the person on the phone (assistant, breeder, receptionist???) was that they have lot of staff so the puppies meet a lot of people and can't meet strangers before 6 weeks due to immunization constraints. To me that is not really socialization, but i didn't press the point, i just thanked them and hung up.

I guess now i've talked through my concerns on this awesome site all i can do is wait until i'm in the country and can visit. Only I doubt that i have the strength of character to say no to a puppy once i meet them, especially knowing that right now i have no other options lined up :(

Calling references is a good idea but i will have to man up more than my current wimpy attitude (Not sure why i'm being so wimpy right now, maybe it is the stress of moving country).

Thanks 

I see what you mean alright just looking at the website.  If you decide that you need to look at another breeder in the UK (Scotland) add me as a friend and DM me. I have a Labradoodle who is two years old now and did extensive research before I made the trip to collect him. I can certainly recommend my LD breeder

It will probably be fine to get that pup--but be aware of the fact that you might have some extra "homework" to do to get the puppy to the point where they are comfortable with you, house broken, etc. It is not a total obstacle to having a great dog, since they are only really aware of their surroundings for about 5 weeks at the point that you take them home. And the health part looks good with this breeder--and all the breeding they do must make them enough money so the profit they make can help to give the dogs a comfortable environment hopefully.

Most breeders who are working on just one breed are barely squeaking by. The dogs are still well cared for, but there is not much profit--it is a labor of love for many breeders who are just raising a few litters a year.

Did you notice that the breeder has some dogs that are ready to go home right away? I am surprised they didn't sell--around here, the pups go fast.

For each dog they insure with Pet Plan..they get a $25.00 kick back.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service