DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Poor Boo wasn't feeling well yesterday afternoon so I loaded him up and off to the emergency hospital we went. (I wish I could say I'd gotten around to sorting out insurance for these guys, and feeling a right idiot for not doing it. I'm taking tomorrow off to stay home with him and I promise I'll do it first thing in the morning!) Anyway, x-rays showed a rock in his intestine so off to surgery he went. Fortunately they were able to work the rock out without actually opening his stomach or intestine, which is wonderful news.

We just got home about half an hour ago. He's definitely still feeling the effects of the morphine drip they had him on, all kinda wobbly and dopey. The incision is longer than I'd expected but looks nice and clean. I have a soft cone for him just in case, but hate to use it unless really necessary.

Now for the problem - Declan, bless his puppy heart. He was really upset last night when I left with Lachlan and then came home, horror of horrors, without him. I had a sobbing puppy in my arms at first and he still looked for his brother off and on the rest of the night and morning. He's overjoyed that Lach is home, obviously, but ... he's too rambunctious, too overwhelming, to be turned loose on Lach. Lachlan really doesn't need to have a 60-pound wrecking ball land on him right now. The only thing I can think of is to keep Declan crated for a while but Dec's not, obviously, happy with that. Unfortunately with my house layout there really isn't a good way to keep them apart otherwise without isolating one or the other.

If anyone has any ideas I'd welcome any suggestions!

UPDATE: Okay, all three boys are signed up for Pet Plan. Declan's calming down a bit, although when I tried leaving him in the house and taking Lachlan out by himself this morning my first coffee of the morning ended up all over my desk. Lachlan's perking up quite a bit but still doesn't have much appetite. He ate a little breakfast and is taking bits of chicken breast very happily.

I made the mistake of taking both boys out to pee a few minutes ago. They were both very calm, did their business, then Declan grabbed a toy and ran across the yard ... with Lachlan pelting after him! Wonderful to see that doodle grin on his face again, but it's leashes for the next week or so I'm afraid.

Views: 449

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh thanks so much for thinking of me!!! I am plugging away!!! Staying focused on anything other then bacteria!!!! Jack comes home tomorrow!!!!!!!

I so know what you mean about neurotic mother....I am too!!!! It worked out best that I didn't have kids lol

Glad Lachlan is ok. So sorry you had to go through this.

I'm so sorry to hear about Lach....you must have been so worried.  We had a Lab who loved to eat rocks....luckily they all seemed to pass.  For the first couple of days I'd alternate having one of them created or gated in another room.  You really don't want to take any chances.  Here's hoping he's back to normal real soon.

Thank you, Jane. I'll admit I'm still watching Lach sleep to make sure he's breathing. *sheepish grin* Yeah, I think I'm going to have to stick with crating for a bit although neither one will be thrilled. I want my happy boy back!

i check on Cooper several times a day... and thats when she HASNT had surgery :)

So sorry to hear about Lach's surgery.  What I did with the girls when Sophie hurt her leg and had to be quiet for awhile with no rough housing was I used an X-Pen.  I just set it up in the living room which is where we spent the majority of our time.  Sophie was normally in it by herself, but occasionally Lucy would want in so I would put them both in there.  There wasn't enough room for them to get in any trouble.  We used this for about 6 weeks while Sophie's leg healed.  It is more room than the crate and she was in the room with us so she was happy.

An x-pen is actually a really good idea, Lucy! I'll pop out tomorrow (taking the day off to baby the boys) and pick one up. That might help, if I can convince Dec not to just plow through it.

Oh that is a great idea!!

Jen, I am so sorry Lachlan had to have surgery, but glad he is home.  How about crating Lachlan and giving them both a marrow bone or something?  Good luck!!

I'm so sorry to hear that Lachlan has gone through this!!! You, too! I hope he heals quickly.

I think Lachlan is the tired one and maybe the idea of crating him in the room where you are going to be will keep the two apart. The meds will keep him tired for quite a while I would think. Jen, there is no easy answer is there?

Poor Dec. Sweet boy wants to play. It's a confusing life our little doods lead.

sorry to hear this happened Jen. how scary that must have been. I'm sorry for being lame and not having any advice, but I do hope Lach is better soon and able to play with Declan. How sweet that he missed his brother so.

Not at all lame, Sherri. As Bonnie pointed out, there's not an easy answer.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service