DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Poor Boo wasn't feeling well yesterday afternoon so I loaded him up and off to the emergency hospital we went. (I wish I could say I'd gotten around to sorting out insurance for these guys, and feeling a right idiot for not doing it. I'm taking tomorrow off to stay home with him and I promise I'll do it first thing in the morning!) Anyway, x-rays showed a rock in his intestine so off to surgery he went. Fortunately they were able to work the rock out without actually opening his stomach or intestine, which is wonderful news.

We just got home about half an hour ago. He's definitely still feeling the effects of the morphine drip they had him on, all kinda wobbly and dopey. The incision is longer than I'd expected but looks nice and clean. I have a soft cone for him just in case, but hate to use it unless really necessary.

Now for the problem - Declan, bless his puppy heart. He was really upset last night when I left with Lachlan and then came home, horror of horrors, without him. I had a sobbing puppy in my arms at first and he still looked for his brother off and on the rest of the night and morning. He's overjoyed that Lach is home, obviously, but ... he's too rambunctious, too overwhelming, to be turned loose on Lach. Lachlan really doesn't need to have a 60-pound wrecking ball land on him right now. The only thing I can think of is to keep Declan crated for a while but Dec's not, obviously, happy with that. Unfortunately with my house layout there really isn't a good way to keep them apart otherwise without isolating one or the other.

If anyone has any ideas I'd welcome any suggestions!

UPDATE: Okay, all three boys are signed up for Pet Plan. Declan's calming down a bit, although when I tried leaving him in the house and taking Lachlan out by himself this morning my first coffee of the morning ended up all over my desk. Lachlan's perking up quite a bit but still doesn't have much appetite. He ate a little breakfast and is taking bits of chicken breast very happily.

I made the mistake of taking both boys out to pee a few minutes ago. They were both very calm, did their business, then Declan grabbed a toy and ran across the yard ... with Lachlan pelting after him! Wonderful to see that doodle grin on his face again, but it's leashes for the next week or so I'm afraid.

Views: 449

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So sorry that you had to go through this. I think the x-pen is your best answer. They can be together, yet they are limited in space. If someone needs alone time you can separate as needed. Good Luck!! give the poor baby doodle some extra smooches and hugs from us!!

I'm so sorry Lachlan had to go through this. I have no advice, but I hope he feels better soon and is none the worse for it!

So sorry to hear about Lachlan's surgery.   I am glad they were able to get the rock out without opening up his stomach or intestine.   

If you decide to go with Pet Plan, be sure to mention "Doodle" to get the monthly discount available.  

I have no real advice on keeping the doodles apart.  Sad to say, I am a one Doodle home and only wish I had that problem! 

Hugs from Cooper and me. 

We used baby gates to seperate our boys when Stuart came to live with us and was sick.  I'd make a cozy bed for Lachlan inside of the gate, maybe off a hallway in a bedroom - then Declan can still see his brother but can't jump on him.  You can walk past and check on him and Lachlan might get some better rest not being right in the thick of the action.  I'm so happy this had a happy ending - Stuart loves to eat rocks and although we try out best to keep them out of his mouth - he does swallow some, so this scares me.

I have no advice but I did want to wish Lachlan a speedy recovery. Also, because Sadie plays with rocks often (so far, knock wood, hasn't swallowed any), I'm curious about Lachlan's symptoms. How was he behaving and for how long? I hope he feels better and can romp around with Declan and Pixel very soon!

Becka, it actually seemed to come on surprisingly fast. He appeared fine in the morning - ate his breakfast, played with his brother, all systems appeared to be working. He ate his lunch just fine as well, then threw it up about two hours later but was still otherwise acting okay. Later in the afternoon I was outside with them and he laid down on the grass for a minute. He still seemed generally fine, but something in the back of my head said that something wasn't quite right. He got up, though, and ran after his brother so I thought he was okay. Then he refused his supper, which isn'tthat unusual for him. He ate a couple of bits of chicken quite happily though, so again I'm thinking "nah, I'm imagining things."

An hour later I gave the boys each a bully stick. He took his, looked a bit confused, dropped it, and made that "don't feel so hot" face with the lips pulled back tight, then walked away and laid down. That's when I grabbed my shoes and the leash. I was still feeling a bit like "okay, I'm over-reacting here, probably just being a neurotic mom" but I had a gut feeling (no pun intended) that something was wrong.

The x-rays showed quite clearly that he had a river-type rock lodged in his intestine with a build-up of gas around it to show that it wasn't budging on its own. The emergency vet thanked me for being a neurotic mom!

Im so sorry to hear this, and im glad everything turned out okay. Poor Lachlan. No advice over here im still trying to figure out the cat/dog situation. But it is very sweet of Declan to care so much, and im sure Lachlan will be up and at it in no time.

I think you've had some good advice so far.  I like the ex-pen idea and crating them separately from time to time.  It's a good thing you reacted so quickly.  I hope Lach feels better soon.  And realizes that eating rocks isn't worth the trouble.

Late reading this Jen - but so happy for the good outcome!

I'm glad you are seeing a little more liveliness in Lachlan today, but I can well imagine you want to keep them on leashes outside for awhile. I hope Lach's tummy settles more by dinner time. Thanks for the update.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service