DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Murphy has been licking his right paw, between two toes now since tues. I cleaned it off, cut all the hair around it I case it was a Matt or something caught in the hair, and to keep it dryer.
We have put a sock on and as hard as we try to keep it on with cloth tape, he finds a way to get it off. Now he has gotten it all red and I'm suspecting an infection is brewing. There is absolutely nothing there that we can see. No abrasions, thorns, insect bites, it's not tender to touch and he let's us touch it without pulling away.
Any suggestions other than some antibiotic ointment and keeping it wrapped and dry? Does this seem like an allergy type behavior? Licking for no reason, but only in one spot?

Views: 481

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I fully expect to see Karen jump in here for you because it sounds like it could be the beginnings of an allergy issue.  Try some benedryl or clariton (look up the dosage for dogs on google).  I think for benedryl it is 1mg per lb but am not positive.  You can also try wiping it down with a baby wipe every time he comes in from outside (in case it is an airborne type allergy).

I believe you are correct on the dosage, but I'll check. Thanks.

When we had this problem with both feet, I took Merlin to the vet.  Steroids, pills you name it, nothing worked.  Then I switched dog foods.  Ive never seen such a change in a dog.  No more licking, or wheezing.  We now feed only Pet Chef.  If there is not an injury on the foot, it may be allergy related.  On the other hand, my standard poodle Honey kept licking one toe so bad that it started to swell.  We bandaged it for a few days, the vet gave her antibiotics, and the swelling diminished. Started out with a mild abrasion on one toe. 

Gosh, switching foods is an option as I am just needing a new bag today, but I'd have no idea where to start, as I don't know what the offensive ingredient would be. He is on Candidae, lamb I believe, as Bella is " sensitive " to chicken. So as of this morning, I have an inflamed paw on one dog and the other throwing up before breakfast. Geez!

I'm guessing Karen will not think that switching foods at this point is necessary....probably environmental and not food, if it is in fact an allergy at all. It could be something as simple as an irritation. 

That seems the most logical at this point. Just wondering if this is a first sign of allergy and if not I can rule that out and go with my current treatment plan.

I  think you've got the right approach. If it starts to smell yucky then you might want to see the vet about antibiotics. If he's only licking his one paw and nowhere else then I'm not sure about allergies, but of course you know Karen will know best.

No smell as yet, and I've been keeping it really clean and even using peroxide to see if there is any broken skin that needs cleaning. Nothing bubbles up , so the skin is intact as of now. A smell would not be a good sign I'm guessing.

It just means yeast infection. not a huge deal, but if you are keeping them clean it sounds like you can keep that from happening. Winston gets yeasty feet from all the licking and chewing. If I leave them for a week they start to get smelly. I only wash them once or twice a week as he absolutely hates it. but I use an antibiotic spray on his paws in between washing. Ever since the toe nail episode I'vebeen putting baby socks on him inside. It keeps him away from them but he gets frustrated because they are so itchy, and chin scratching is less effective when socks are on his paws. Either way, he can't win. :(

In the Spring this happens with Murph, and it is a seasonal allergy.  It's always his paws.  Claritin helped a lot along with wiping down the paws each time he was outside.  It's puzzling that would only be one spot though.  With Murphy it was both front paws....for some reason he never went after the back ones.  I do think you're doing the right thing for now...but maybe just try a Claritin.  Karen ("the Birthday Girl") will know.

I hadn't thought about Claritin as I was thinking more irritation than itchy, but it could be itch related. Yes, just one spot on one paw. Very strange.
Casey does this to both her hind paws. Our vet said it was a hot spot. We put powder on it and when she is in the crate, we give her toys to keep her from licking.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service