DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi,

Twice tonight I noticed when Nala got up from resting she would limp on her left rear leg.  It doesn’t last long at all.  She even runs fine.  I never saw her get hurt in anyway.  And I find it so weird that it doesn’t last.  It’s like she is fine once she gets walking.

I plan on taking her to the vet in the am.  Anyone have any experience with this?  She is only 3 years old.

Thanks so much,
Christine

Views: 134

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In an older dog, I would say it's arthritis; this is exactly how I am when I first get up, lol. Once I get moving, I'm fine. But she's too young for that. I think a vet visit iss good idea. Try to get a video if possible so the vet can see it, because chances are she won;t do it there. 

Charlie does exactly the same thing in an off and on fashion.  He  is 5.  He also limps after lots of exercise, but  this is more recent. I took him to the vet who gave him a thorough external physical and couldn't find anything. If I want to pursue it, there are tests to do so but at this time I declined.  When he has a bout of limping, I give him pain pills. 

I would most definitely advise you to take Nala to the vet to get checked out. 

Oliver was doing the same exact thing, he is 7.  Our vet thoroughly examined him and took X-Rays of his hips down to his feet and found nothing.  He is an avid "ball fetcher/catcher" so we stopped that for 3 weeks, no running, twisting, or quick maneuvering.  We did toss the ball easy and allowed him to catch (otherwise, he would have been miserable).  No more limping.  He's back to fetching and catching, but we just go easier on him, alternating soft tossing.  Our vet thought it was an injury due to quick turning or maneuvering and it needed time to heal.  Good Luck!

Hi Nancy!
I totally agree about not encouraging Nala to jump high.  We actually try to keep it low, but if the wind takes it up or we throw too high, it is really amazing how high she can jump.  It’s like she is on springs or something.  Very agile.  But she does do the twist thing when she plays frisbee, so that is what rang a bell when Oliver’s mom mentioned it. (As she jumps to catch it, she twists in the air, catches, and comes down)  Nala also jumps on and off the back of our couch.  And I wonder if she didn’t jump down and slide her back legs or something because we don’t have rugs, and so the hardwood floors have no traction.  She again woke up just fine.  So I’m thinking it was nothing to be concerned about, but we will definitely be keeping her low on her frisbee games.  

Thanks so much to everyone for responding!  I was up last night worrying about Miss Nala, so when she got up I watched her closely.  Perfectly fine.  Jumped down from the bed, running around.  Even after rest, no limping.  So I held off going to the vet.

After reading about Oliver, I am thinking maybe something similar happened to Nala.  Nala is an athlete in her own way.  She is just the fastest dog and loves playing frisbee.  When we throw her the bee, she runs, twists in the air and catches it.  The other day my husband had her out playing and I am thinking maybe the twisting mid air and landing may have hurt her leg.  This dog jumps so high.  We never taught her this, she just does it.  She also runs like a race horse in the yard. ( we have a very large property). So....I’m keeping her on leash for a few days just to watch.  But today she seems just fine. 

Thanks again.  So thankful for this board!
Christine

I would advise discouraging the high jumping when fetching.  One of our members here, Jolene, has a dog that has developed serious shoulder problems - worked on by the vet and therapy, but the long term advice is no jumping and control how much fetching in a session.  Throw it lower.

My Bob (who just turned 5) will do that periodically....usually after a pretty vigorous game of fetch at the dog park, or if he was playing all day at doggy daycare. He will limp for just a few steps after he gets up- like he feels stiff. I asked the Vet about it when I had him in for an unrelated issue, and she wasn't concerned at all. She said that it was likely just sore muscles. X-rays would be warranted if it was happening more consistently. I now make a point of giving him a good massage of his back legs and shoulders after exercise, and it seems to help a lot!  

Thanks. I’m going to learn doggy massage. I’m sure Charlie will love it. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service