DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I am sorry to have more sad news for DK but at least Luca is OK now. As I wrote several weeks ago Luca’s tail was broken. Although I don’t know it for a fact, I think it happened at the groomer’s although she denied anything happened. The vet saw him and when she shaved part of his tail there were also areas where the skin was wounded. At any rate he was bandaged, had antibiotics and this went on. Luca managed to pull off the bandages on several occasions and the end of his tail hung sadly. But I did not like the way things looked and one open area of his skin did not heal. He seemed fine except for an occasional yelp when he moved certain ways or something.

I went to the vet last Friday and she too was concerned. We agreed he should have x-rays under anesthesia and then a decision on what to do would be made. On Monday we found out he actually had three fractured vertebrae in his tail and two fractures were displaced. The end of his tail was still viable but the wound was not healing. I had to decide whether to continue what we were doing but we had done that for over 3 weeks and there was no reason to believe we would be more successful. The vet said tail splints are not good options for dogs and the only other choice would have been to have plates inserted in his vertebrae and she did not recommend this. So with difficulty, I decided to let the vet go ahead with the amputation of the end of Luca’s beautiful tail. She removed seven vertebrae but some were tiny.  He has been a trooper and I think he is more comfortable than he has been.

He went in for a dressing change today. I saw the x-rays for myself and I realize that there really was no way this would have ever healed without major surgical intervention if then. I am sorry I did not insist on x-rays sooner. Once his hair grows back I think he will look fine. Tomorrow is Luca's birthday and we will celebrate that he will soon be well.

UPDATE 3/21/13

After about 10 days Luca had his sutures removed today. I took off his bandages Monday. He is getting some fuzz on the shaved part of  his tail. He had two areas where I think he had a reaction to the strips of tape they use under the vet wrap but they have scabbed over. He is now back to normal dog things without bandages and tail "raincoats" in bad weather. He finished his antibiotics today. The first go round I gave him yogurt but I don't think it mad a a bit of difference. This last 10 days I did not give him anything and his poop was somewhat soft for him but no problem. Luca and I thank everyone for their support and good wishes : )

Views: 1057

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They don't really set tails but they can try splints. Luca had two displaced fractures, one broken end moves over the other part of the bone so the bone can't possibly knit together. It would entail surgery to repair with metal plates and screws to hold things in place. Not something recommended for a tail. I imagine a puppy has a better chance of recovering from an injury especially a simple fracture. 

I am so sorry to hear about this, F--it's so awful to have to think of our dogs in any kind of pain or discomfort. You know that in the end, Luca won't know the difference (but he'll know his tail doesn't hurt anymore!). Happy birthday to Luca!

Oh my goodness F, I am so sorry to hear this. I do remember you saying there was a lot of bruising. At least he is more comfortable and could heal and put this behind him. Happy, Happy Birthday to sweet Luca!

I am so glad she is OK! 

Happy Birthday Luca, what a crappy birhtday present, but at least you will feel better soon :)

Happy Birthday Luca!   Hope you are feeling lots better and celebrating your "special day"!  Libby sends paw hugs and Doodle kisses:)

Happy Birthday, Luca. Hope your tail heals fast now.

oh wow, i am so sorry that you and luca had to go thru this...but he will be so much better now that the situation is taken care of.  i am sure that a break that is not casted or whatever it is that they immobilize a fracture in an animal must be very painful. it is for a human, that i can attest to, but he is going to be ok, and i am sure that he will be his beautiful self in no time...happy birthday luca, and hugs to you and mommy and you and calla....

Happy Birthday, Luca!  Sorry to hear about your poor tail but I am glad you are feeling better now!  You are such a handsome dude with that gorgeous nose and awesome eyes!!  Hugs and Doodle Kisses from Bailey!   

Many thanks again to everyone for your kindness and wishes for Luca.

Awwww....poor Luca.  I'm so mad at that groomer I could spit--that has to be where this happened. 

He'll be much more comfortable very soon.  I would have made the same decision.  

Hope he had a fun birthday today, and so sorry you two have had to struggle through this sad and worrying time.

Sorry to hear that Lucas tail did not heal.  It must have been incredibly painful for him, so you can be comforted knowing you made the right decision to go ahead with the surgery.  As you said, he is probably feeling so much better already.  I wish you could prove it happened at the groomer, she should be covering some of your veterinary costs and grovelling to you on her knees right now.

No proof and she is a nice woman with no money, I think. I just wish I knew the story.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service