DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Sorry-but I have to ask. I had a male dog before and I remember the first time he lifted his leg to pee I was very excited but I forget how old he was. My Golden Doodle is almost 5 months old and hasn't even attempted this "big boy dog thing" Any comments on when they start to do this. Should they do this before they are neutered?

Views: 182

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Depends. Rosco was neutered at 4.5 months and he lifted at 10 months for the FIRST time!
Wow-10 months old. I was thinking he will do this anyday now. I guess not . It's not an important thing I guess, but I have met people who said their males never do this- they still "squat to squirt"(as my husband says), even as an adult. I guess like everything else, it depends on the dog.
I have three male dogs and my son has two. The unneutered 4 year old lifted his leg at age 2. The 10 year old (neutered began to lift his leg to pee over another dog's pee at about 8 - when the other one did. The others - 5 years, 8 years and 11 months (all neutered) not ever. The 10 year old dog does not lift his leg on furniture, in the house etc. - just asserts his authority over our other guys when we are camping - and they all go on potty walks.
My Max is 17 months and still doesn't left his leg LOL!!
Jonas lifted his leg around 5 months...right before he got fixed. He only does it now when we're going for a walk and he ha to "mark" something where another dog has been. For the most part he just leans forward and pees.
My Bailey is a year old and was neutered at around 5 1/2 months old. He usually squats and only once in a while when the snow is high does he lift his one leg a few inches off the ground..so not sure if he will lift it come nice weather or if the squatting will contine.
Mary Walker
My Buford was neutered around 8 weeks and he began to lift his leg around a year old. He didn't do it consistently for a couple of month after that though...
I forgot to add that Rosco only lifts outside of our yard... on foreign trees and bushes =)
Hi Adina, I guess then male dogs only lift their leg to make their mark??? But I have heard that they do it naturally on posts, trees etc because it keeps them cleaner. From all of the posts I have rec'd so far on doodle kisses, almost none of the males lift their leg. Obviously females have quite different apparatus so when they sqaut, no mess. But most males(I heard) lift their leg because they can hit their legs or anything really when they squat. They do not like this so they lift their leg so they can direct the pee away from their body. Comments are welcome from everyone!! It's not an important topic really-whatever my boy does is fine with me. Maybe male dogs who squat are gentle dogs and don't care about making their mark. That sounds good to me!!
yes..pretty much ONLY for marking.
Rosco probably has more pee - leg contact when he marks...dribbles as his leg falls back down. eeewwww. does not hit his legs when he squats.
Tanner just turned Two Years old, about three weeks ago, and he still haven't lifted his leg...He still squats to pee.
Well, even though I started this discussion I really think its so cute that almost all of the male doodles squat. It is not an important thing-I just thought that all male dogs at some point lifted the leggie. I have learned by most of the doodle owners here that this is NOT necessarily true. Squatting is good!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service