DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

My first Australian Labradoodle so I am a newbie. Izzy has a switch that she turns on - any time day or night (usually at night) whereby she instantly turns aggressive, crazy wild running around, biting badly, jumping up to tear clothes - she is so fast we cannot catch her but when we do she instantly goes into her gated "octagon". (Time out area) There is no way to calm her except by doing this. Is this normal???

A little background - just my husband and myself in the home (other than a housekeeper) - just Izzy and myself during the day. I provide her with chew toys, toys, trips outside as often as she wants. HOW could she be overstimulated?

Views: 347

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It doesn't sound like she's overstimulated, it sounds like she needs more exercise & mental stimulation, and more structured physical activity than just "trips outside." A tired doodle is a good doodle. She needs to run. Puppies have a LOT of energy that they need to burn off.   Training sessions can be good exercise for both body and mind. 

Izzy had to forgo her 12 week shots due to a scare with her health - she is on Vitamin K for 28 days - so she is not allowed out of my yard. She had to forgo her "puppy socialization" classes as well until she has had her shots. This behavior started long before the confinement.

Any suggestions for "mental" stimulation other than the time I spend training her to sit, come ... Kong toys I teach her to use, a toy tunnel, large boxes to tunnel through, a plastic pool until she can swim in the large pool, sprinklers of varying heights I've set up.....?? Trips outside running after string toys, running through azalea beds that stretch for half a mile ....?? (Not all of the above on the same day - don't panic)

LOL, it does sound like she is getting good mental stimulation. Maybe these wild bursts of energy do occur when she is just overtired. 

These episodes do occur with puppies, often when they are overtired. Timeouts do help and when I learned to do that with Luca he often took a nap and reverted to his normal self.

If this continues you might consider having a trainer come over to observe and give suggestions.  We have a very active Labradoodle but he is well behaved active at 8 month's.

I am afraid the painful "nip and run" is due to  lack of dog socialization. As she hasn't had her last shots and will not be able to have them until 16 weeks she is isolated from other dogs. (No puppy classes) I'm a bit worried.

She needs training - that will help a lot.  And just so you know, Peri used to get major zoomies as a puppy - always around 8pm or so.  Just went nuts, doing her little grunting/barking around the house, would sometimes jump up to nip, etc...  I would try some formal training.

these zoomies.. Violet races from one end of the house to another about 15 times at full speed ..I mean she is fast ... is that what it is ? I have never seen anything like it .....she ran into me and hurt me I was afraid she was hurt.. nope ..she kept going ... it does get better at colse to one years old though !

Yes!!! It's like she's possessed - but Izzy leaps at us and tears clothes, skin, ... she's not vicious - just like she's on speed  and can't stop herself. We try to catch her - tell her "No!" - pinch her ear if we can catch her - yelp loudly like her littermate - and corner her and put her in her octagon for a time out. Ever day without fail in the evening.

Thank you - there's hope!

I don't think it is overstimulation, I think she is bored.  These are high energy dogs and they need releases.  My ALD wants to go out daily on walks and they are usually off leash.  He also wrestles several times a day with our goldendoodle and whoever else is around to wrestle with him.  He is definitely high energy.  What do you do for exercise for Izzy?  They are really great excuses for you go get more exercise also.  Doggie day care?  She might like having some other dogs to play with.  She is still pretty young so I would not be overly concerned.   Just try to do more activities with her.

I'm going through the same issues with my 14 week old June. Please see my discussion on my page. I've been given so many helpful tips that I've implemented today.... and they already seem to be working! It's funny you say 'gremlin.' That's exactly what I call it when June acts this way! I too am usually home all day with her.
I a.m./was familiar with some form of what you are experiencing...some call a milder form the Zoomies...I would strongly suggest...if possible...look into a Boot Camp for your pup
Mine went to a 2 wk one in the trainers home..no kennel
She came back a MUCH different dog...in my vernacular...a Menche ...
It is worth every $ it costs b/c they do an expert job at getting to something in their brain to switch on the Inner Good Dog personality....also they do it in much faster fashion than you could with/without a personal trainer!!
My dood went at 6 mo, but at 4 mo she started to exhibit behavior we were not happy with

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service