DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I just saw that my breeder for the puppy we are getting in a couple of weeks is advertising the same litter on puppy find. We just had a terrible experience with our dog amber that passed away in December. Turned out amber was from a puppy mill. This was devastating to us and our children. I have been very careful, we went and did visit. We met the mom, and saw a couple of the pups. The couple was very nice and answered all of our questions. We could not go where they slept because they had not been vaccinated. I read so many awful things about incidents that happened through puppy find. Should I be concerned. Maybe I am just very nervous because of our past experience from getting our poodle from Petland. Any words of wisdom?

Views: 766

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

She sent the Heath testing via email, there was only eyes for the mother a poodle, and hips for the dad. I thought hips are done on both parents. We are headed there now. I hate to ask her but I'm going to have to bring it up.

You need hips AND elbows on both parents. Eyes on any dog with Poodle in the genetics, ditto heart. Von Willebrand's disease in both Goldens and Poodles.  

I will ask about this. Does this mean that the dad, which is a Golden doodle should have eyes too?

YES, Here is what the Golden Retriever Club of America says are the "Big Four" clearances that should be done before breeding a GR: Hips, Elbows, Eyes, and Hearts

http://grca.org/health/bigfour.html

Also, be aware that PRA and subaortic stenosis (genetic eye and heart disease mentioned in this article) are found in both Poodles and in Goldens. 

Oh my! I bet she would have given me all of that if she did it.
I would be concerned on the no hips for Mom. Possible reason may be the female is not yet 2 yrs of age, but, certainly a prelim could be done. And what was the male's rating? Was she willing to share the results?
The hips rating was "good", I will ask why no hip test on mom.

And the rest of the family is responding with their hearts not their heads.  Bottom line - who will be responsible if there is something wrong?  You, right?  That gives you a veto vote!

It should be that way...
I have a funny feeling that once you are all there and see the puppies, there is no turning back and testing will not be everyones biggest concern any longer. Good luck though and I hope you can stick with your instincts and the information youve recieved thus far from here. Please let us know?
Exactly what BYBs are hoping for. That the cute factor over rides the lack of health certifications.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service