DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

We Live in a gated community and everyone has pesticide sprayed on their lawns... As we were taking Derby out to go potty this afternoon a neighbor and dog lover yelled "don't let your dog on your lawn it just got sprayed".... Derby just had her third puppy shot last week what's a person supposed to do
I really don't think she's ready nor do I think it's appropriate to start running her to the community's dog park to eliminate her waste.. I'm not sure what is a good alternative.... not to have my lawn sprayed ever again and then my neighbors will admonish me for that....I'm not afraid of my neighbors, but seriously what are the ideas out there in Doodleville

Views: 422

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I live in on the fourth floor of a four story condo building in the West Loop.  There would have been no possible way to get Lola in the elevator, downstairs and to an acceptable spot every time when she was house training.  I wound up going with a service called Pet Patio Pickup, which was a lifesaver. They bring you a little bit of fresh sod every week for her to go on.  I keep in on the balcony and that way she gets used to going to the door, being let out and finding the grass.  Worked great.  Here is the website.  I'm sure they have something like it by you.

http://www.petpatiopickup.com

OK, maybe I'm not in the loop when it comes to living in a big city, or a condo either. I never even could have imagined that there is some company that delivers grass for your dog to use ! How awesome is that ?

Thanks for educating this "country/city" person today Jay !

We have discussed this recently : )

What a great idea for Apartment Living Dogs. 

What about your backyard? Can you use a pet friendly fertilizer back there instead?

That's what I would do. 

I a.m. Amending my message...what I really want to know is how on a scale of 1-10 ( 10 being the worst) this grass that's been sprayed ...how bad is it for dogs to wee & walk on?

it depends on the pesticide. some stuff is pretty toxic to touch, others are toxic to eat (dogs lick their paws), others are moderately bad and some are fine.

i'd suggest you ask your landscaper or home goods store for recommended options.

Having just lost my Sophie to Canine Lymphoma, I can tell you that two of the things that are considered a "potential" contributor to this are living near power lines and lawn pesticides.  Nothing concrete, but lots of articles on the pesticides.  I would suggest that you just do a google search on Canine Lymphoma and lawn pesticides and do a little reading and then form your own opinion about what you think.  There are many articles available to choose from.  Research shows that 66% of all Goldens will die from some sort of cancer.  This doesn't mean that all will be as unlucky as Sophie and it takes them at 5 y/o, but at some point it will.    There are many things that they say cause cancer in humans and if we tried to avoid them all, we would just have to live in a plastic bubble.  Unless of course a plastic bubble is one of the things that causes cancer, lol.  Anyway, do some research and see what you think.

We use a pet friendly treatment in the fenced back yard.  I still want them off of it for a while so we put it on after their last romp at night.  By the morning, we're good to go.    As for walks, at least in this area, all the lawn services put little stick in the ground flag/signs saying the yard as just been treated and to keep pets/children off for 24 hours. I'm in Atlanta now and it was handled the same way when I lived in Texas.  I thought that was the standard but from what you've said, that's not the case.  We also wipe their paws with a wet towel after walks.  

Can you use a service that uses organic products.  They are safer than chemicals.  In either case you should definitely wait until the product dries thoroughly.  We do not use weed killers or pesticides of any kind on the lawn at all for Haley's safety.

I use organic/pet friendly fertilizer on my back lawn and on the front lawn where the doodles do not go I use the regular stuff.  I don't like all those chemicals by my doodles.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service