DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this forum and a brand new Goldendoodle owner. I just picked up my puppy last night. She will be 8 weeks old tomorrow and her name is Aspen. I would love to hear your opinions on the name, I have received mixed responses to her name from friends and family. Some love it and some hate it. What do you think? Be honest.

There is so much I have to learn and I'm hoping some of you will be able to help me out. :) The breeder I got her from was feeding her Diamond Naturals and gave me a 1 week supply so that I can ease her into the food of my choice. I didn't see this brand listed on the recommended food list so I'm a bit concerned. What should I feed her? I need to order food tomorrow so that it arrives soon. I was looking at Earthbound Holistic as it seemed to work within my price restrictions. Do you recommend this? If not, what do you recommend? I want to be sure Aspen is getting good nutrition and the right food.

She is doing great so far with her crate training. The first night was really rough and I got about 1-2 hours of restless sleep. I work from home so I kept her crate in my office during the day so that she could be around me. She did great with this. She whined the first few times I put her into the crate but after a couple of tries she took to the crate and ever since she's been sleeping it in really well! I move the crate to my room at night and she is currently asleep in it right now. Everything does seem to be getting easier on the second night already. Is this a good way to crate train or will I confuse her by moving the crate around? So far she seems very versatile and in no stress whatsoever. She is extremely social and loves to be around me.

I would also like your opinions on training classes. I want to be sure I invest all of the time and money needed now so that she will have a good foundation and I won't have any regrets in the future. Are training classes helpful?

I was reading somewhere that vitamins should be incorporated into puppies diets. Do you recommend adding calcium or other vitamins?

I'm so sorry for this long post. I really do appreciate anyone who is taking the time to read this and respond!

Please feel free to share helpful tips and notes. I already love my little Aspen and want to provide a great home for her!

Thanks again!
Stephanie

Views: 643

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was just going to respond about using her lovely name for positive interactions, only. I also recommend training her to look at you for direction all the time. I did this by teaching the command, "Watch me." I held a piece of kibble or a small treat up between my eyes, and when my two looked at me, I rewarded this with the food tidbit. Every time they looked at me (even without me giving the "Watch me" command first), I said, "Good watch me," and praised them. This was well worth all of the time that I spent teaching them to look at me, because now that they're older, they (usually) turn to me for permission before doing something that they're not sure about. I still make them both establish eye contact with me and wait for my okay "Through" before going out any exterior door, including the car door. Actually, I have them watch me and listen for the command, "Exit," before they go out of the car. It sounds like you're off to a great start with Aspen. Congratulations!

I have never heard this before and what an awesome piece of advice!  Myla is 3 years old now but I am going to try to train her on this command!  It's great for everything!  Thank you!!! 

If you are new to puppies then a puppy class would be a good idea. But I have to say that it is the work you put in from 6 months on that will help her be very obedient. Puppies learn words fast but it's the continued commitment to training that will keep her doing what you asked. So plan for going through a few classes.

IMO the most important training now is:
Learning her name
Being comfortable with handling (grooming, being held, etc )
Keeping teeth off humans
Keeping paws on the ground to greet people
Tolerating confinement (crate, leashes, baby gates)
Potty training
Socialization to the world at large, other dogs, animals, kids, noise, etc.

That is a lot and more than enough for a new pup and owner. So I'm not a big proponent of puppy classes. But they won't hurt and may help in socialization

We never did puppy classes here. But we did do huge amounts of socialization and clicker training. This free book from Ian Dunbar was invaluable. Just to say that I do now have two relatively well behaved boys. They are well behaved around dogs and people and are always a pleasure to take anywhere. I trained them myelf. I still do a few minutes every day with them to make sure they know that I am the top dog in our house! Trainers train the humans on how to train the dogs Lol

http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/downloads/AFTER_You_Get_Your_Pupp...

Totally agree!  We have never done puppy classes either but really worked on the above - to me socialization is the best piece of advice to give and that doesn't mean people or other dogs, that means everything that you think your pup will encounter when he/she grows up - trains, elevators, old people, young people, airplanes, hotels, horses, cows, fireworks, lightening, waves, traffic....the list continues!!!

She is beautiful You are going to love being a doodle owner. The breed is by far the best ever. We have two doodles cause one was  not enough..LOL  My advise, love love love on your pup. Doodles are a very cuddly breed, they love to be with their owners. They are social and easy to train. As far as a training , we did it ourselves at home and without treats. We began leash training immediately, We had our pup wear the leash around the house just to get use to it being on him. We would do a few 10 minute time a day. Then once he was use to the leash we began the walking on a leash again in short time frames through out the day. The leash was our friend, we taught sit down, wait and how to work along side of us. 

Brushing is another great way to bond with your new pup. Short time frames of brushing allows the pup get use to being groomed. Handle her feet a lot. It will make it easier on her when she goes for her professional grooming. I hold our doodles paws anytime we are petting them.

Crate training is great. After a while all you will have say is "Kennel Up" and away she will go...

I am soon happy and excited for you.. Enjoy Aspen... You are in for a lifetime of smiles and enjoyment.

Hugs and slobbers,

Harrison and Brodie

Welcome to DK.  Your new puppy is a very pretty little girl and so is her name.  If you're happy with it, then it's perfect. Lots of great advice here and links. If you think of training as a time to develop a stronger bond with Aspen and fun for both of you, you'll be off to a great start. I started off with getting my pup's attention with "look" and "sit."  Puppies nip.  Like Nicky, I used a sharp yelp and redirected with a toy and if Finn got too wound up, just 5 minutes in his crate would calm him down. She may not get it right away, but she will eventually understand.  No rough games that encourage nipping. A pen is a great way to keep her close while you work but still give her space to play. Take her as many places as you can.  Not only does it socialize her, but it gives you a chance to train in different situations.  It's so much fun to eventually have a dog you can take anywhere. Before she gets her final shots, you can carry her or put her in a shopping cart. If you start early, she'll learn that the world is a friendly place and as you continue training, she'll look to you for direction. Plan to take her to puppy class and at least one round of basic obedience.  

I love the name! My boys are Loki and Moose and people seem to either love their names or dislike them- oh well! I would join the food group and puppy madness and if you think you want to do your own grooming then the grooming group too! I never did puppy classes with either of the boys, I just read a ton on different things to work on. As soon as your vet gives her the all clear I would start bringing her out and about to meet and greet people and other dogs. Something I did try to work on from the beginning with Moose, my second doodle, was leash manners, even in the house before he could go out. I had Loki for about 6 months before I found DK and was struggling with loose leash walking and once they have bad habits it's harder to break. This time around it's much easier stopping the bad habits before they are habits. She's so pretty! Is she a standard? Welcome to DK!
Oh she seems like such a sweetheart! Congrats and welcome again!
Hi Stephanie and Aspen!! Welcome!!! I just got my doodle puppy exactly 1 week ago. It's been a wild ride but he's delicious! Since I'm so new to the doodle world I really do not have too much to offer but wanted to welcome you and let you know that the info and advice on DK has been amazing and has kept me afloat. I'm sure you'll find the same! Welcome!
Oh...... And I love the name!!!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service