DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

It's official.. we are picking Emma up in 2 weeks! She will be about 15 weeks by the time we pick her up (we're moving in about a week) and I literally can not wait!! She wil be my first puppy ever, my boyfriends 3rd (he use to own Portugese water dogs so it took convincing to get a doodle!) Just wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions, advice, stories they want to share while we prepare over the next 2 weeks for Emma!

SO EXCITED!

thanks!

Views: 80

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome Liz! I can't wait to see photos of Emma! The best possible advice I can give you is to join two groups:
1. Puppy Madness (so many discussions about how to deal with your puppies, invaluable tool to me during the first 6 months especially): http://www.doodlekisses.com/group/puppymadness
2. Food Group (very enlightening, another of my favorite groups on this site, just the best): http://www.doodlekisses.com/group/thefoodgroup

I know you are excited - life with a doodle is very fun...challenging at times when they are so young, but they are really incredible dogs =)
Congratulations Liz! I'm enjoying living vicariously through all our members who are adding new pups. And a FIRST time pup for YOU! You are in for a fun adventure. The links provided by Allyson above are good ones. LOTS of great discussions/info in the Puppy Madness group.

I would say BE PREPARED for lots of fun and lots of madness, days when you might think you'll pull your hair out...because pups are bundles of energy and curiosity and naughtiness! But also sweet and cute and fun and exciting. Many of the bad stuff will pass quickly (though it won't seem quick), some of it will take training and work...but the more time you put into training (if you have a good training plan/method/teacher you're working with) the BETTER!

Have fun, take LOTS of photos, and share with us your experience!
Congratulations! I can't wait to hear updates and see photos of your new pup!
I would get a snuggle puppy and have it sent to your breeder. Your breeder can rub the snuggle puppy on the mom and litter mates to get their scent. Allie did not go very far from her "baby" and I think it helped at night in her crate. She never did cry at night. Have fun and enjoy the madness and the snuggles.
Congratulations. I would add the grooming group to your list of must join groups. The grooming group can wait a while, but IF Emma has a high-maintenance coat you will want to learn about coat care.
you will also want to pay particular attention to the parts about getting her used to brushing and combing and handling her ears and feet from day 1. Don't wait until she is older and her coat is changing. Make brushing a part of her daily routine so she is used to it.
Thanks you all have been so helpful! I am so excited and at the same time a little nervous! I'm been wanting one for so long and it's weird that this day is so close but I'm glad that I have a whole network of people here that will be able to help me through. I feel like hmm how should i say this..that i know what to expect from reading your blogs, research, friends&family but at the same time i also anticipate it will be more than i expect - ha if that makes any sense at all!

Leigh I'm definitely taking you up on the Snuggle Puppy idea..i actually sort of looked into those but never really knew anyone who used them!

Also i just talked to her breeder tonight and she found out her son is heading home for Iraq within the next few days :) and that he will be leaving either the 19th or 20th ( we were going to pick her up on the 20th) so she asked if by any chance could we move the day (my boyfriend works on the weekends so i wanted it a weekend so he could come with) so we moved it the 13th (she's already 13 weeks old as of today :)) so NEXT SUNDAY. so excited will definitely post pictures!!

Thanks again!!!
Congrats!! I am so excited for you!! Please share loads of pictures.
Can't wait to see your pictures and hear your stories! Spend lots of time reading over the next week as the better prepared you are, the better things will go.
Congratulations....I'm excited FOR you. A new Doodle puppy is one of the best things on this earth. Prepare to fall in love. My only advice is to use those first couple of weeks to really make her feel safe and loved as she gets used to her new surroundings....it's a big change for them. Keep her with you whenever she's not crated...either tethered to you or gated in the same room. That way you can watch her for signs she needs to go out....and I also think it helps with the bonding. Good luck and remember to keep us posted on how things are going...we love our puppy stories (and pictures).
PS: she's so adorable!
I know that anticipatipating the arrival is tough but so worth it. We waited about a year for ours and just got him 2 weeks ago. He was 8 weeks. I strongly recommend crate training. It's definintely the way to go. I also found Puppies for Dummies is a good read. You should buy it before you get her. Buy lots of toys for her to chew on and treats as well. Make sure you have a crate to bring her home in. Sometimes they get sick on the ride home. I don't know if your breeder is giving you a bag of food but don't buy a large bag of any kind until you know she likes and can tolerate it. Our dog doesn't like the breeder food unless I mix it with a can of wet puppy food. We are also using bells to train him to go 'outside'. You can start that from day one. If you haven't scheduled your first vet appoinment, you should now.
I wish you lots of luck.
Thanks Kelly- Monty is so cute!!! I feel like i have been waiting for ever because we have looked for so long! We are definitely going to crate train her- the best part too is that she'll be 15 weeks when we get her and the breeder has been putting htem in their crates a few hours every day since they were 7 weeks old to prepare them for their new homes- and she crates them from midnight to 6am every night so im hoping that wont be too terrible!!

Thanks! just made the vet appointment this afternoon and I can't even wait..is it Sunday yet? :)

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service