DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi! I just got my puppy two days ago and I'm trying to get her used to her crate and play pen. She has some severe anxiety when I leave her in there and won't stop crying. It is a very loud high pitches yelping noise and I'm worried the neighbors are going to get angry. I put plenty of toys, pee pads, and water in there with her so that isn't the problem.

Any ideas?? 

Views: 269

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe the snuggle puppy. Other puppy owners swear by this. I didn't know about it when we brought home Annabelle or I would have bought one. https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Pet-Love-Snuggle-Behavioral/dp/B000C9Y...

I just ordered one! What I great idea!

Annabelle loves her snuggle puppy to this day and she is 3.  

I found that by moving Banjo's crate to a position in the house where he could see me, wherever I was worked wonders.

Such a good idea. Works for babies so why not fur babies. Good luck Hope it works. It will pass but understand your pain

Can you tire her out then get in the pen with her.  Settle her down with a treat/blankie and just hang out.  If she falls asleep great- let her be.  When she wakes right out for potty so she has no time to get stressed.  Maybe some type of frozen kong agains start with you in there with her so she sees it as a cozy spot.  It's hard at first but they will get it !  It took Finn a bit to get used to his crate.

Is this mostly at night or during the day.  At night I had the crate on a chair right beside my bed so that I could reach over and comfort her if she whimpered.  I also gave her like 5 or 6 little pieces of kibble when she went into the crate so that she wouldn't get an empty tummy over night.  She learned quickly that crate meant kibbles and she would get in there turn around and sit and look at me for her kibbles.  During the day you could give her some little treats to entice her to come into the crate.  Just leave the door open and let her see you put some treats in there.  Don't shut it when she goes in, just let her think it is her own doing for awhile.

She is ALL ALONE for the first time ever--very very traumatic--here are some tips--plan to spend a LOT of time working with her to get her used to being by herself--sit with your back to the pen and be PRESENT--no talking or eye contact, just you nearby. This will work wonders--if you see that she is playing calmly with a toy, then sneak a treat into the pen and say "good quiet"--not big deal, just a quick reward. You should do this until she tires out and then put her in her crate for a nap--Again, sit with your back to the crate until she conks out.  When she wakes up, she gets praise and then a quick trip to potty.

After you have played with her again for a while (they are not good at playing alone at first, since they are used to having littermates) sit outside the pen again, but this time  move a bit further away--it will take several weeks to get the pup used to you, your house, your routine and the lack of other pups to play with. Playing a radio or TV nearby helps too--but it is a long process and you are just getting started!

Ginny ,think you are on target. My trainer suggested exact tips you did. Encourage with treats to create positive vibes with pen or crate.

Glad you agree--I raise pups and this is what I tell my clients.

And feed her in her crate, treats and new toys given to her in the crate--it needs to be a happy place--do not expect her to be crate or pen trained in just a few days!!

I will definitely do this! She actually has had some stomach issues and I found blood in her stool this morning so I had to take her to the doc. Thank GOD the parvo test came back negative. I'm sure she is stressed out...

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service