DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Ok...so I will start by saying please don't judge and this may be a long post.
For many years I pushed my husband to get a dog. I never had one growing up and I thought it would be great for our first born. He refused. He had grown up with a chow mix and knew how much work they were and didn't want to deal. As the years went by I had two more children. My oldest has Tourette's and my middle son is on the autism spectrum. I brought up the dog issue again because I knew there was a benefit for my two sons being they had these disorders and I knew my daughter would just love having a dog around. I figured it was a win win situation ( the boys would have a dog to calm the anxiety and we would add an addition to the house). I should mention that Bentley is now 10 1/2 months old.
I now feel that it was the wrong thing to do. I am not in love with him. I kinda like him. I hate that I have to leave early for everything so I can take him out. He has destroyed my house and my furniture. He is constantly barking and jumping on people and cabinets. I can't even have people over because he doesn't stop barking or jumping. We have spent a lot of money on training that seemed to work in the beginning but now it's like he didn't learn a thing. Wish we could do more training but money is just to tight right now.
He seems to be more added stress than anything else. My husband is constantly telling me " I told you so". I am feeling very frustrated and overwhelmed.
I have thought of giving him to another family that may have a better grip on the situation and know how to handle him but the kids would be totally and completely heart broken!!!! They adore and love him so much!!!!
Am I abnormal for not loving him the way they do? Am I a bad person? I am almost in tears about this.
Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Views: 886

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nadia, DK has a great Training Group you could join for additional help. Also, a Puppy Group where you can see you are not alone. Good luck to you and I am happy to see your decision. I have two dogs and I slacked off long ago...LOL..but I keep them on a great schedule and that helps me out tremendously. Plus, I am at a different place in my life than you and I am over the moon about my dogs, but there are some days I tell them I am taking them to Goodwill :) It gets better! Meanwhile, you will find this group wants to help and all you have to do is ask.

http://www.doodlekisses.com/group/trainingmindsets

http://www.doodlekisses.com/group/puppymadness

thank you :)

Nadia, i live close by! i am in oceanside! we should try a walk with them together! :)

:o)

That sounds like a great idea!!!! Thank you

Go for it Nadia!  He will be your perfect guy in short order with some training and consistency.  My offer for a weekend off stands, or even when you leave town, we will have a sleep over for him with Quincy!  Keep us all posted!

Nadia, I am glad to  read that you are going to try to work out more training time with Bentley.  I think you will see a huge improvement.  At the same time, if it just doesn't work out and you need to relinquish him to a rescue, you can feel like you have given the situation your best effort, and perhaps later in your life you can try owning a dog again.  You have a lot on your plate and sometimes wanting something to happen, even when you strive to make it happen, just doesn't work.  Good luck.  We are here to support you.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service