DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

So, Monday morning, Parker woke up by throwing up...I thought he might have just been hungry but when I fed him, he ignored it...then over the next couple of hours threw up 15 times...all bile and mucous. He wouldn't touch a drop of his water and food and when I took him to the vet, he visibly looked like he felt awful. The vet kept him over night (it was really hard for me to leave him there) and he was given fluids over night and all yesterday, along with having tests to see what was wrong. He had xrays to see if there was a blockage and there was nothing there from what they could see (plus Parker doesn't really eat anything that isn't his and he doesn't destroy his toys or anything like that) and bloodwork showed a slightly elevated white count so the vet thinks he has some sort of gastroenteritis.

I picked him up last night and was sent home with three antibiotics for him to take over the next week or so until they are done. He came home last night and ate the boiled chicken and white rice that the vet recommended (ate like he was starving, which I imagine he was because he hadn't eaten in 24 hours) and has kept the food down with no issues. But after he ate, he went right to sleep and was basically out cold from being so tired (he was alone in a cage at the vet so I doubt he slept much with his separation anxiety).

This morning I woke up and gave him his meds and fed him more of his chicken and rice which he has eaten and kept down with no issue still, but has yet to touch his water! Someone suggested popsicles and pedialyte so I went to the store and got some of those and cucumbers as well. He LOVES cucumbers and I know they are made up of a lot of water so I figured that might help....he ate the cucumber with no issue and actually licked a whole popsicle down, happily! He also had some diluted chicken broth with his breakfast and ate/drank that. But why won't he drink his water???? 

He's got me going crazy because I don't want him to get dehydrated! It is clear he still doesn't feel well but he has improved other than the not drinking water part.

Sorry for the long story...just wanted to make sure everyone had the details.

Has anyone seen this with their dogs?

Views: 556

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am sure he might like to though. I think both Popsicles and broth taste far better than water to him. Let him go for the day without supplementing. As long as he is eating, urinating and defecating normally he won't instantly dehydrate. But he should get thirsty and when nothing better is on hand, water will suddenly seem like a good idea I think.

I would put ice cubes in the bowl with the water, which tends to create interest - something to play with.

Usually he LOVES water...especially if it is someone else's!  When he goes out for his last walk of the night, he comes in a gulps up a whole pile of water...it is very unlike him to not drink water.

Also, he could care a less about ice cubes. He's a weird dood.

I know his stomach is pretty sensitive right now, but as a special treat I give Oliver Sweet Spot "dog ice cream." It's basically peanut butter or sweet potato flavored frozen yogurt and he goes wild for it, I think it's probably his favorite treat and it's actually pretty healthy. It might be worth a try if your local pet store has it!

Hoping today finds Parker feeling a little better!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service