DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

So, Monday morning, Parker woke up by throwing up...I thought he might have just been hungry but when I fed him, he ignored it...then over the next couple of hours threw up 15 times...all bile and mucous. He wouldn't touch a drop of his water and food and when I took him to the vet, he visibly looked like he felt awful. The vet kept him over night (it was really hard for me to leave him there) and he was given fluids over night and all yesterday, along with having tests to see what was wrong. He had xrays to see if there was a blockage and there was nothing there from what they could see (plus Parker doesn't really eat anything that isn't his and he doesn't destroy his toys or anything like that) and bloodwork showed a slightly elevated white count so the vet thinks he has some sort of gastroenteritis.

I picked him up last night and was sent home with three antibiotics for him to take over the next week or so until they are done. He came home last night and ate the boiled chicken and white rice that the vet recommended (ate like he was starving, which I imagine he was because he hadn't eaten in 24 hours) and has kept the food down with no issues. But after he ate, he went right to sleep and was basically out cold from being so tired (he was alone in a cage at the vet so I doubt he slept much with his separation anxiety).

This morning I woke up and gave him his meds and fed him more of his chicken and rice which he has eaten and kept down with no issue still, but has yet to touch his water! Someone suggested popsicles and pedialyte so I went to the store and got some of those and cucumbers as well. He LOVES cucumbers and I know they are made up of a lot of water so I figured that might help....he ate the cucumber with no issue and actually licked a whole popsicle down, happily! He also had some diluted chicken broth with his breakfast and ate/drank that. But why won't he drink his water???? 

He's got me going crazy because I don't want him to get dehydrated! It is clear he still doesn't feel well but he has improved other than the not drinking water part.

Sorry for the long story...just wanted to make sure everyone had the details.

Has anyone seen this with their dogs?

Views: 556

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can you get a dropper and give him some that way?  We have this happen with our chihuahua and when he is refusing to drink h20, usually a few droppers (in his case, like 1/4 t - Parker would be much more) gets him back on track.  Just my 2 cents.  Hope he's back to normal SOON!

We have tried a dropper...by myself, I can't get the water in before he coughs it back in my face...I will try when my husband gets home so he can help me!

Yep, must be easier to give water to a 7 pounder than Parker :)  How is he today?

I'm sorry to hear Parker has been ill. Sounds like you have gotten lots of good advice. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

He looks so happy with his Popsicle!

Lol! He was very happy with his popsicle! Little stinker...I feel like he is milking the illness like a kid would!

I've just been through something similar with Boris and he also didn't drink water for three days.  I made ice chips with sweetened water and the chicken broth was very liquid, I cut up the chicken into tiny bits and so he had to basically slurp the broth to get at the chicken. Give the broth warmed.  Boris wasn't that gone on the ice it was the broth that kept him hydrated.  The vet said if I hadn't done these things he would have been on a drip.  He has now bounced right back and is eating and drinking normally again.  I hope this will also be the case with Parker too....  I know this is very worrying for you but hang on in you're doing a great job. Once Parker is not dehydrated and is eating I don't think I would run for further tests if it was me but don't necessarily take that bit of advice.

Okay thanks. I will definitely cut his chicken up tiny so he has to get the liquids in. Glad Boris bounced back! I hope Parker follows him! He is definitely showing improvement from when he got sick, so that is why I am more hesitant about sending him back to the vet. Hopefully I can just keep him hydrated like you did Boris!

Hi Nicky, I was just thinking about Boris when I was reading this. Glad to hear he is good.

Me too....and great advice.

Hi Katie, sorry to hear Parker isn't feeling well. I don't have anything to add but I wanted to wish him well.

Lots of good suggestions, just want to say that I hope it all gets sorted out and it's really good to hear from you and Parker. :-)

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service