DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hello

I wasn't really sure where to post this as I am looking for different advice and mostly to share our story. Marshall became sick with vomiting and a little diarrhea on a Wednesday morning. By Thursday he seemed so sick and would not eat or drink. I took him in at 8am on a Thursday and we began the usual things you look for in a 10 month old puppy. So, he had blood work, xrays and thankfully an IV (since his wasn't drinking). I took him home with the usual meds and advice- He never took any meds that night (Thursday) and would still not eat or drink and very sleepy. I know this dog so well. I felt scared to death all Thursday night to the point of tears. Curious though there was no more vomit and very little diarrhea- no blood. I literally ran into the Vet at 8 am on Friday (with no call before hand)- freaking out- I said "I feel like I am losing him!" I left him there for more tests and IV and I had to go to work. They called me at 3pm that Friday to tell him he tested positive for Parvo and that they were shocked. I started crying and really almost passed out. We have always tired to take such good care of him. It was so shocking!! It turns out Marshall received ALL vaccines on the exact- correct time table and the last two parvos were with the same manufacturer. He spent 4 days (which I spent most of with him) in a very good hospital and I am happy to report, it has been two weeks and he seems to be healthy and back to his old self. We do have a claim in with the Vaccine Manufacturer and expect a check from them to cover some of the $3,500.00 cost- we also have a pet insurance policy- so hopefully all that will help. Why did this happen? We have been told multiple theories...from a lapse in the vaccine to a different strand? I really don't know. He wasn't any place in the two weeks before hand except for his Doggie Day Care a couple days a week. EVERYONE has been tested and checked and no other dogs have came up positive. He wasn't at a pet store or a dog park. So it will remain a mystery. But even if he was...he was suppose to be protected.

Finally my question. It was really awful to get him back to eating and drinking- he received the canned food the hospital gives for days and once home, we just continued on it and gradually added his Wellness grain free food back in and he got things like sweet potatoes and boiled chicken and so on. and he is on Proviable DC. But in the last day or two- with just his regular kibble- we have loose stools again. It is like going through the food change all over again. I am wondering is there a canned ID formula similar to what the hospital gives that is really any good? I feel like his tummy is a mess and I don't want him losing weight as he just started gaining it back.

Also, as you might imagine he is being kept at home and I not sure, I have the guts to ever take him anywhere again. I just want to say...if you do have a Puppy not fully vaccinated..BE CAREFUL. This was a horrible experience and at 10 months old - he almost didn't make it!!

Also, if there is anyone else out there that has had this same experience. Did you vaccinate for the Parvo again or just do the titer tests? Because, I am getting mixed theories on that as well.

Thanks for listening and any feed back you might have will be appreciated.

Views: 523

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am so sorry to hear about your sweet doodle. Glad he is on the mend and hope his tummy is back to normal soon!!

Thank you!

Yes, nothing is 100% and we do the best we can with our care of avoiding known dangers, but there is just so much you can do.  You acted quickly and it was caught very soon, which just shows how well you know him. I would be the same if either of mine stopped eating or drinking. That would be a huge red flag that something was very wrong with either of mine. 

Good job mommy and continue to enjoy him and take him places, don't let this scare you into holding him and you captive in your home. 

The voice of reason. I know, I need to let him be a dog!! We have a stool sample this week to make sure he isn't still shedding the virus. He misses playing with his friends.
What a terrible scare. I hope Marshall continues to improve.
Thank you

I am so sorry Marshall was so ill.  I hope he continues to improve.

Thank You!!

I'm so sorry you had to go through this but so glad to hear Marshall is recovering.  I had a pup that got Parvo about a year before there was any vaccine.  We lived in the country.  There were no other dogs around.  He hadn't gone anywhere.  So how he got it -- just like Marshall -- remains a mystery. But I certainly know how scared you must have been because it seems like one minute they're healthy and within a matter of hours, they are dying.  We rushed him to the vet and they diagnosed Parvo and gave him an IV, but would not keep him because of the contagion factor. They sent us home with pedialite, some pills, and a syringe. My husband and I sat with him all night and the next day taking turns giving him little doses of pedialite.  He recovered but having experienced parvo, I'm so glad there is a vaccine even if it's not 100%. Hugs to you and Marshall.       

Thank You. Parvo is the worst!! Glad your Pup made it too.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service