DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I just saw an article online about the fact that more pets died on Delta Airlines in 2011 than on any other airline. 

I thought this was an interesting article and wanted to share it.  One of the breeders I spoke with (before we got Cubbie) said that there is no problem shipping puppies, but I always wondered just how safe it really was. 

http://shine.yahoo.com/pets/more-pets-died-delta-flights-2011-why-2...

Views: 438

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am not a fan of flying a puppy unless in the passenger compartment. I would have driven cross country for Daisy before I would have her in a cargo bin. Considering it's the dead of winter think how cold it would be in the cargo hold.

Sorry but never.

How sad.... I would never fly my doodles no matter what.

I would never fly my dogs either. I have seen what they do to luggage. I would never take a chance with my dogs, but that is just my opinion.

Rooney's breeder (here in FL) will not fly a puppy during the hot weather and then only on direct flights - meaning no layovers or changing planes, but a delayed plane can not be planned for.  I would NEVER let anyone ship a puppy to me - I just would never chance it but that is my own personal opinion.  I'd fly to go get the puppy and bring it home myself.  Rooney did fly with me to Michigan and back when he was about 4.5 months and small enough - he did wonderful and no one even knew he was there.  Took a wheeled carrier - it was a breeze.  He is not 2 lbs to big to fly but size wise - I couldn't squeeze him under the seat anyway.  I'm happy driving with both my boys!!

I brought Sophie home on a plane because I was worried about the long drive by myself with a puppy who might need to pee every hour. I was able to bring her in a carrier in the passenger compartment but was supposed to stowe her under the seat and keep her in her carrier the whole time she was in the airport. The flight itself was only an hour but you better believe I broke the rules. I kept her in my arms the whole time until someone told me she had to go in her carrier. As soon as they were out of sight she came back into my arms. I even went through security with her in my arms. The other passengers adored her to pieces! Thank goodness she didn't pee or poop! I don't think I could have put her in the cargo hold. No way!

I worked on the ramp loading and unloading planes for 15 years.  The live animals can only be put in the forward bin and the pilot must be advised there is an animal in there or he won't turn on the heat.  If the agents loading the plane forget to tell the pilot the animal will probably not survive.  I have also seen dogs that have been so frantic that they have managed to get out of their crate in flight and as soon as the bin door opens when the plane lands they jump out and take off.  A terrified dog loose on runways and taxiways is not a good thing.  I know they arrive safely a big percentage of the time but after seeing all I've seen I wouldn't put my dogs through that unless there was no other option and then I would make sure my crate was escape proof and the crew knew my dog was in the bin. 

I am sure most people know how I feel like airlines as a whole.  I have been a corporate travel agent for 20+ years.  I have heard 1000's of horror stories from my own personal clients that your don't hear in the news.  The airlines have basically zero regard for their "human" passengers let alone animals in cargo.  Delta from a travelers perspective is one that a lot of seasoned travelers tend to favor (the lesser of the evils is a better way to put it).  

One point I see from Delta's record is they would probably fly more pets (only my theory) because their hubs are all in milder claimants) than other carriers therefore not the risk of overheating as much while left on a runway for a delay - totally a theory of mine.  

That said under no circumstance would I ever put a dog in cargo, there are to many other options. One I wish more breeders would suggest is flying yourself to pick up your puppy. Southwest has a ton of routes now and in my professional opinion are an excellent choice for having a pet on board. You get priority boarding and can make a pet reservation in advance. Trust me I am not normally a Southwest cheerleader but I have heard quite a few positive experiences with pets.

The DRC will not ship a dog to an adoptive home, and that has not stopped someone who really wants to adopt a particular dog from flying to the foster home, renting a car, and driving the dog home. There was one adopter who lived in Washington State and the dog was with Tina in Iowa. I think that one was the record, something like 2000 miles. But there have been others. It all depends on how much you want that particular dog.

Wow...talk about a journey.  We had a hard enough time getting Ollie to settle down for the 1 hour car ride.  Very impressive on that adopters part.  

When I was getting Riley I did consider flying him home but decided very firmly against it.  The answer for me is a big no. There is no way I would put a dog in cargo.  To take Riley to mainland Europe we have to get him a pet passport and rabies shots (Ireland is rabies free) and we are considering doing just that and going by ferry to the UK and then onto France by ferry perhaps next Summer.  It would be a long trip but an interesting one.

My Doodle-pup is coming home in 2 weeks, and I'm driving 600 miles each way to pick him up from the breeder.  A friend bought a puppy (non-doodle) from a reputable breeder, and the puppy caught parvo on the flight.  After extensive vet treatment, they had to have him put to sleep, as well as their other puppy (caught parvo from him) that they had recently gotten from another reputable breeder.  After hearing that, I knew there was no way I'd have mine flown home.  I never even thought about the weather!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service