DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I bought my F1B Goldendoodle two months ago.  Not only have we had digestive issues from day one but he looks like a Golden Retriever with very little poodle and he sheds like crazy!  Please, take me serious when I say, "like crazy".  My daughter's allergies are going crazy and we have to take him back to the breeder.  My concern is that we have already put $300.00 extra on top of the purchase price in two months on this precious dog to get his stomach issues resolved and I'm scared the breeder will not give him the proper food (Life's Abundance) and take his issues seriously.  What are the chances of finding someone to buy him that will take care of him and not mind his shedding? He's our little man and letting him so is breaking our heart,  My little girls have cried everyday along with myself.  He is such a good dog and the smartest I've ever seen.   I only paid $650.00 for the dog and she is offering me another from her next liter because of the trouble we've had with our doddle.  I just don't know what to do.  I lost my job last week so we ca';t afford to pay more than the $650.00 for another doddle.  I know I sound like a sad case and I'm sorry for that but I'm very desperate for some advice.

Views: 1582

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You really should have your daughter allergy tested to find out what she's allergic too. Some people are allergic to dog's saliva, not the dander. And even if the shedding slows down, there is still going to be dander, which is the most common allergen.

woops, just saw that you have an appointment next week. Good luck with that.

I'm so glad to check in here and see that there are some solutions staring to appear.  It's amazing when you reach out how things can change.  I am so glad your Mom can help for the moment and I can only wish you the very best, Chance may also turn out to be 'Lucky" !

Thank you Nicky!

I am glad that our input gave you some ideas as to how you might be able to keep Chance, at least until you find out about your daughter's allergies.  I hope it turns out that your daughter is not allergic to dogs but to plants that you can rip out of your yard. Two of my three children have allergies and asthma, but luckily neither is allergic to dogs - cats, however, are another situation and if we had cats, we would have had to re-home them because the kids are that allergic.  My daughter has a black lab who sheds a ton (of course) and she uses a furminator on him.  She also notices that when she keeps him bathed  it really helps his shedding, and when she can afford to have the groomer bathe him, he sheds very little for  weeks.  We had a lab mix that we kept very short which also helped with shedding.

Nancy, I hope she is not allergic to dogs as well.  I also heard by grooming him it would help control the hair so we are also going to do that next week.

Grooming does really help.

I've been watching this post for a few days but still I keep coming back to one thought--Can this shedding be stopped?

When I adopted Starlit, she began shedding at 4.5 months. She shed worse than any dog I ever had.  This went on for 3 months--maybe a little more.   I actually started the shedding group just so we could get an accurate account for those seeking information about these " No shedding dogs" and the myths surrounding the marketing.

Honestly, it was overwhelming.  I could run a sweeper and by the end of the day, the hair was back.  Then it stopped.  Once in a while I would see ONE hair on a white pillow case.    Unless she was brushed, I rarely saw anything besides the brush.

I know there is a period of time when the puppies blow coats.  The times and frequencies vary but we know it happens.   Starlit was intense and prolonged IMO.  

We attributed a lot of this to illness as a puppy and stress.  

I know my situation is odd, but I do believe it could happen again

HI Carrie,

I have been watching this post as well.   My Cooper's coat is like Joan's Starlit was.  More shedding as a puppy than as an adult.  Although with Cooper, the only time the shedding became a nuisance was at about one year  and it lasted for 6 weeks.    His coat was straighter and and thinner than it is after he got his adult coat. Now he has a wavy coat, that is curly if I let him "air dry" and it is a little longer.  :-)  I am hoping that maybe you will experience some of this with Chance also.   It is possible that he could be either way and in my opinion, you won't know for sure until  he is an adult.  

Best Wishes,

Martha

But as other DKs have said, there are F1s that do not shed out there! Crazy but true!! Why would the F1 gen be curly? i don't get what you mean by that.

According to IDOG's stats collected about 70% of F1 LD's shed and 30% of F1 GD's shed.  That may not reflect the whole doodle population, but I think it's safe to say that MORE F1 LD's shed than F1 GD's.  This of course doesn't help the original poster as shedding throwback coats can happen in any generation.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service