DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Any advice on my pup who eats his poop??

I contain him in an approx 10 ft area to go out & do his business 1st. Then afterwards we will run in yard to play catch or run around. Occasionally he will be out of my reach & do another poop. He will then eat it.

I never leave his poops, always clean up asap...but I am referring to the poop that happens while playing in yard. I am there to watch him, just can't always get there in time.

I tried "Forbid" from my vet. Which is basically a meat tenderizer. No luck.

I'm working on the leave it command. Not working yet.

He is 4 months old on Thursday

Thank you for any advice

Views: 313

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My golden used to be a poopeater. I read somewhere that they will eventually outgrow this nasty habit by 1 yr old, and true enough she quit right about that time when she turned one. We used to have to watch her like a hawk, she was never allowed off leash, if she wanted to a good romp, we used the retractable leash and ran along with her. If she came close to any dog poo we immediately gave her a stern warming and snapped the leash a couple of times. We have never tried pineapple or Forbid.
This is subject I need to hear about. My pup is eating her's and my other dog's poop. I am trying forbid but it doesn't seem to matter. Pineapple didn't work, tobasco kind of worked but she still eventually ate that one too. I have recently switched to another food with higher protein. I also way over feed her and that doesn't seem to help either. I'm beginning to think its just a behavioral thing that she will either grow out of or have to be trained out of. I am going to investigate shock collars. I am not a big fan of that kind of training but I am hoping that she'll only need to be shocked once to get the idea and then I can use the beep on the collar. It is the only way I can correct her quick enough. Like others in this discussion sometimes you can't get to them quick enough. I have become a fanatic about cleaning up and I try not to let her see me do it. Anyway, it is a DISGUSTING habit and frankly it affects my relationship with her because I don't find her cuddly at the moment. Good luck with it.
What kind of food are you feeding?
If you're asking me, I had her on Fromms Salmon and now I have switched over to TOTW venison and buffalo. Protein has gone up from 25% to 32% and it is grain free so it is quite a change.
I am feeding Wellness food. Also hadd Missing Link vitamins. Maybe I will try thr pineapple 1st and if that dosent work ...change diet. yucky bad habbit!!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service