DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

We have a 6-year-old goldendoodle named George. A few months ago, we noticed that George had a few black spots on his belly in his groin region. We took him to the vet and she said she thought they were related to allergies and gave him a 10-day antibiotic regimen. He finished this antibiotic regimen about a month ago and it seemed like it was starting to clear up.

However, he just got a trimming and they shaved his belly, and we realized that now it looks even worse than before. He's got more spots now, they're larger, and there are now a few in his armpits as well.

We've made a vet appointment for next week, but I'd love to get some other opinions or hear from people who have seen the same issues. Does anyone have any thoughts/advice/information on this? I've attached photos below.

Thanks!

Views: 12054

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can't guarantee that this is correct but I had this issue with my wheaten way back when  and it was a reaction to shampoo not being thoroughly rinsed out--he had BIG black spots where the skin was darker and looked like your doodle's does--I used a gentler shampoo on him and made sure it was all out and he never had the issue again. I believe I was given an antibiotic cream to put on the spots too.

Lots of times when i bathe doodles and rinse out the shampoo, I then check them all over and if there is soap left it is often on the belly because the water runs down there put is not rinsed off--so this could be it.

I have quite a bit of experience with allergic dogs, my own as well as all those in the Atopic Dermatitis group, and this doesn't look or sound like allergies to me, unless those "spots" are scabs. Is he licking, scratching, or biting those areas? If not, it's not allergies. If so, antibiotics wouldn't have done a thing to stop the itching that is causing the biting, licking, scratching, and subsequent scabbing.

The vet should have taken skin scrapings from those areas before prescribing medications. It could be a contact dermatitis, mites, or something else entirely. Personally, I think you need a different vet or at least a second opinion.

I agree that this looks the same--my dogs spots were less benign and looked like the skin was coming off in places-much different now that I think about it...and he was itchy if I remember right--it was about 12 years ago!!

I agree with Karen, they worry me because they are uneven in color and size.

What about flea allergies?

they look just like what was on our daughters dog when they moved in (his name is George also).   they ended up being reaction to flea bites and food allergies.  he was placed on a good heart worm/flea preventative and his food and treats are wellness grain free brand.  

Living in Florida this looks similar to what a flea allergy reaction looks like on a dog's belly.  However, I think  it important that a vet check this out and recommend treatment.  If the vet indicated an allergy, I'd ask the vet to be very specific.  If it IS a flea allergy, remember, treating just the dog is not enough.  You need to treat at least the house as well as all other animals living there.  Take a look at this: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Ask-Veterinarian-700/2011/9/dog-spots.htm

I do not treat my dog /house as recommended in the above article, I use an oral flea treatment that my vet recommended (remember, we have it bad in Florida) and it works wonders for us.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I thought it looked like flea allergy dermatitis, too, but if that was the case, the dog would tearing be himself apart from the itching, it is so intense. Something way more than antibiotics would be required.

Gavin was scratching intermittently  when I was trying to figure out what he had last fall, but he certainly was not out of his mind.  I will try and find the link.

Okay here it is:  http://www.doodlekisses.com/forum/topics/rash-bites-poison-ivy-on-g... and it was flea allergy dermatitis and he was on a monthly preventative and still got it (and I am a pretty particular house keeper).

He was itching and licking, though, itching enough that even the Benadryl wasn;t helping much, and going off to hide so he could lick himself, lol. That's pretty itchy. We don't know if this dog is itchy or not. Since the original poster has not responded to any of us, and we therefore don;t know if these are scabs, if the dog is itchy, or much of anything else, I'm not going to do any more guessing, lol. We are all willing to help, but we need more info from the person we are trying to help.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service