DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I didn't want to start this discussion on Kari's about her experience and her loss of Ari.
I read what was written on what not to do. My question is about the raised bowls. Charli is 28" tall at her shoulder. For her to have a bowl on the floor she was to spread her front legs so wide it hurts me to watch her. The other 2 aren't as tall but for them to have their bowls on the floor doesn't make eating easy.
My doodles chew their food, will go over and get a little water and come back to finish their dinner

I appreciate your suggestions.

Views: 1263

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I read a study on bloat (I think it was done by Purdue University) and it said that raised bowls is a contributing factor to bloat.  My goldendoodle is very tall (29" at the shoulder) and deep-chested so I have been paranoid about bloat since he was a puppy.

I do keep his bowl on the floor and he has a bowl with 3 posts in it to slow down his eating.  To prevent bloat, you want to slow down their eating as much as possible.  You might want to moisten their food with water, rather than letting them drink and come back to their food.  One study I read recommending pouring hot water on their food and letting it sit.

Make sure the food doesn't contain citric acid if you're moistening it. That is one of the risk factors from the Purdue study, adding liquid to dry kibble that contains citric acid.

It's funny; years ago, it was thought that raised bowls helped prevent bloat. When I fostered GSDs, the rescue director always brought me a set of raised bowls, because with miniature poodles, I had no need for them in my house, and they were considered imperative for GSDs.

When I adopted big Jackdoodle, I automatically bought a stand with raised bowls.

I still use it, even knowing the new recommendations for preventing bloat from the Purdue study. Jack is definitely more comfortable eating this way than having to hang his head all the way down to the floor. I'm not sure that would be a good thing with his IBD, either. In fact, when he does have to drink from a water bowl at ground level (like at someone else's house, or outdoors), he lies down to drink. That would not work well in my small kitchen. It would also be difficult for me to have to pick up and put back the bowls for his 4 feedings and numerous water changes each day at this point in my life, although of course I would manage it if I had to.

The stand I bought is adjustable, and the bottoms of Jack's bowls are only 12 inches off the floor.

I am not telling anyone else that they should ignore the advice about things to do to prevent bloat. Just telling you what I do and what I am comfortable doing for my dog and my personal situation.

I should add that JD is a relatively slow eater who does not gulp his food or water.

I wonder if any of you can give a Down command and then place the bowl between the dog's legs?  This is how Spud eats-lying on the floor.  Of course, I did not teach him this, he just does. 

See if that works, A

Sounds like a reasonable thing to try.

And I thought Stuart was just being lazy.

I can't believe you let him have his bowl on the sofa! Stuart, you are living the life!

Really!

Oh hilarious! Stuart eating on the couch... the life of Riley. 

Jane you are too funny! This would be Finn's idea of heaven..,but heaven can wait:-)

It sure can.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service